iPhone and PL700B

Warthogge

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Luck is a good plan carefully executed.
I'm having my PL700B repaired after hiding it in a closet for about 25 yrs. I sold off the preamp long ago and now only have the amplifier and RTR tower speakers. My question is, is there a way I can connect my iPhone to play music? I've searched the internet, but either can't find the info, or there is too much techy speak for me to understand if it is doable.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Welcome.

I'm sure you can get a Chinesium preamp that will accept a phone output.

But you might consider going through the amp at this point...

Warthogge

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Thanks J!m... I thought about buying a preamp, but am curious whether a direct link is possible. If not, or if too complicated / risky, I may go the preamp route. I'm thinking the iPhone won't have enough juice. Maybe I'll just get a preamp and turntable so I can play my old Ronnie Montrose albums.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
You'd probably have to make/have something made and use the attenuators on the amp face (if that model has them).

Neither option appeals to me personally.

A real preamp (plenty of nice used ones out there) and a phone to RCA adapter cable would have you set.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I hadn’t thought of that but good point.

I did run the headphone jack to RCA on my big system before my son Was born. That worked fine but I never tried it from the lightning jack. Actually from there I might get an outboard D/A converter and run that to the preamp.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Bluetooth to RCA adapter. I’ve driven a PL 400 with an iPhone but not enough drive to pound it but it’s listenable. Just get a pre amp and adapter cable or Bluetooth

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Or you could buy one of these and stick the PL back in the closet.
:cool:
I really like this one. With only 50 watts input power it puts out 1KW with a max power of 2KW. It sets a world record for efficiency and does it in a package about half the size of a 400 transformer. With this technological advancement, perpetual motion is certainly around the corner.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Does it matter that the one in the link doesn't ship to the U.S?
Try just doing searches using their item name, and see what pops up locally.
I only really meant for that to give you some idea of what's out there.
Seriously, there's a gazillion things out there and they're really not all that expensive.
Quality wise, you get what you pay for, but seriously, I bought this tiny T-amp years ago, that was so cheap, it blew the sox off my pair of Bryston pwr amps, obviously only up to certain point, [around SPL 85dB 'C'] but surprised a helluva lot of people.
It's still my main amp [but actively sub assisted now.] It uses a helluva lot less power than my 700 II. o_O

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I really like this one. With only 50 watts input power it puts out 1KW with a max power of 2KW. It sets a world record for efficiency and does it in a package about half the size of a 400 transformer. With this technological advancement, perpetual motion is certainly around the corner.
I wanna get a whole box of 'em!!!!!!!!

Warthogge

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Thanks for all the suggestions. But, my issue now is repair cost. Looks like a whole day required to change out all 24 output transistors, caps and drivers. Not sure what this means, but the cost is essentially prohibitive for me. Still ruminating on this, but may sell for parts or for anyone interested in resurrecting a PL700B amp.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions. But, my issue now is repair cost. Looks like a whole day required to change out all 24 output transistors, caps and drivers. Not sure what this means, but the cost is essentially prohibitive for me. Still ruminating on this, but may sell for parts or for anyone interested in resurrecting a PL700B amp.
You will have plenty of takers and some spending cash in your pocket.

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
If it's to loud-You're too old!!
Thanks J!m... I thought about buying a preamp, but am curious whether a direct link is possible. If not, or if too complicated / risky, I may go the preamp route. I'm thinking the iPhone won't have enough juice. Maybe I'll just get a preamp and turntable so I can play my old Ronnie Montrose albums.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You've got the right idea there, Ronnie Montrose was the guy to listen to if you wanted to hear a Les Paul played the right way!!! In the mid 1970s he was one of my favorite rockers! His guitar playing was like rock candy... Hot, Sweet, +Stickyyyyyyy! And that red headed kid he had singing for awhile was one of my favorite singers at the time. I wasn't a bit surprised when Edward Van Halen invited Sammy to join his band when David Lee Roth got the itch to go walkabout.