David's Phase Linear 700B Thread

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Looks great, quite the setup...
I'm only half of it Joe. YOU are the rest. I thought I'd have a bit o' fun today with the "Tower of Power" and the camera before I put everything back together in their final resting place. Let me tell you what....you don't need a flashlight at night to see diddly squat in THAT room. Need the shades. Thanks Joe. :cool:

IMG_2712.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2721.JPG
IMG_2733.JPG

Tagline
Looks great, quite the setup...
I got your Boards Monday Joe. I finished installing them in my brothers two amps this evening. He is pleased to say the least.

His are on the very top. Now.....it’s time to move on to something more. Be on the lookout for an email......

AB08CA23-637B-4328-82EE-AAB54782643C.jpeg

Tagline
Looks great David...quite the setup
Thanks Joe. I ordered a fourth Audio stand for future use once the audio room expands. The Sanus Model I’m using that I talk about a few pages back, has been discontinued by the MFG and is no longer on their site. Most retail outlets that stocked it; no longer offer it either. So I found one to buy and store once the inevitable happens. I had to dig deep..........

Tagline
Maybe I missed it, but what could you possibly be using for speakers ? o_O
You did. Speakers the size of your car. It's way back somewhere near the middle part of this thread.............
Shout out to Doug (fitz43)

If I haven't thanked Doug yet I need to. He's the reason the VU meter light dispersion all looks the same across all eight meters. He supplied me with about eight diffuser strips during my initial mod. I only requested two at the time. With my new upgrade; I honestly had to replace all but one set of the originals due to the incandescent bulbs' heat burning thru the semi-transparent strips and making them transparent in spots. Now they all look brand new. And I am pleased I had the extras on hand to do it. I am enjoying my system immensely! You have my many thanks Doug man! :thumbup:

-PLP

View attachment 17082 View attachment 17083
JOE! I can't believe this never dawned on me earlier! Last week a lightbulb went off in my head and I recalled this part of the thread. I had to dig through it to find it. But I'll bet a million to one THIS is where the actual meter color discrepancy lies. I friggin replaced all the original diffusers with these I got from Doug. So of COURSE they aren't going to match perfectly with the other four original amps' diffusers. DUHHH?!

Good Lord........my memory is actually starting to slip! I'm callin myself out here cause I know how to Man up to my mistakes. Well....look at it this way; I have Four brand new 700B light boards sitting here sooooooooooo what's my solution? Buy 4 more PL700B's? YEAH! That's the winner there! :thumbright:

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I told you to check that a month ago. Here is part of the message I sent you:

I'll also clue you in an several things that make the light boards shine different. I don't know who did your WOPL's, but we use filters, and tape to hold the filters to the top of the meters. The type of tape, the type of plastic filter, did they clean the meter scale? Did they clean the meter covers, and there are several other things to do.....

Tagline
I was WAITING for you to chime in Perry. I served the pitch to you on purpose. Wanted to give you a chance to gloat.

Like I said; calling myself out here. I honestly did not remember replacing ALL the filters; (that was back in 2014), but obviously the ones obtained did indeed differ from what the PL factory used. I'm still in the positive here. I have some great light boards that I can use to put into more 700B's. In fact; got one coming in this week as we speak. Nothin wrong with a spare or two.............

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
NOT gloating. I've built so many of them and I gave you a place to look. I pull the "yellowed with age" filters off all the time. Just did a pair yesterday. I don't need to gloat. You tossed that out there just for me? How sweet

mlucitt

So is there a consensus on what looks better, the filtered meter view or the individual LEDs showing up through the bottom of the meters?
On a lot of the amps I get, the filters (or at least one is) are long gone. What do you guys use for filter material?

Tagline
NOT gloating. I've built so many of them and I gave you a place to look. I pull the "yellowed with age" filters off all the time. Just did a pair yesterday. I don't need to gloat. You tossed that out there just for me? How sweet
Haha. It's all good Perry. Your experience with these things is far greater than my own. I can only speak for the one or two I have had in the past that had the yellowed filters you describe. What kind of filters do you normally use to replace those? Is there a "Go-To" type of material you like to use in your builds? -Asking for a friend........;)

(shoot) had to edit this reply since mlucitt beat me to it by a few seconds earlier. Yeah. Same question here...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So is there a consensus on what looks better, the filtered meter view or the individual LEDs showing up through the bottom of the meters?
On a lot of the amps I get, the filters (or at least one is) are long gone. What do you guys use for filter material?
I use the warm white LEDs with no filter. People who know me know that I have not had a filter for many years :)

Tagline
It was my brothers two PL700B’s I was replacing light boards on last week that made me remember what I had done 6 years ago to my own amps on the diffuser strips. Had he not brought them over for work, I never would have recalled.

One of his amps had an original board that looked like the heat from the incandescants had seemed to “burn through” the frosted diffusers in round patterns right around the bulb. His other amp didn’t have this. He didn’t like seeing the LED’s directly. So anything clear wasn’t an option. I used rubbing alchohol to remove the remaining frosted areas.

I thought up a solution to make them match closer by using a couple layers of frosted scotch tape sandwhiched on either side of the now clear diffuser strip. Man it looked Identical to the other amp that I hadn’t done this too when I was finished. All without introducing ANY color difference. I will be using this for my other amps now. It worked very well and literally matches the originals intended design. Even if you dont have the original strip; you can make this up in a pinch.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
PL used strips of drafting Mylar. These are the sheets that replaced vellum for doing mechanical drawings and survey plot plans the old school way. It has a frosted surface for drawing on and a gloss surface on the back. The stuff is readily available