David's Phase Linear 700B Thread

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Shout out to Doug (fitz43)

If I haven't thanked Doug yet I need to. He's the reason the VU meter light dispersion all looks the same across all eight meters. He supplied me with about eight diffuser strips during my initial mod. I only requested two at the time. With my new upgrade; I honestly had to replace all but one set of the originals due to the incandescent bulbs' heat burning thru the semi-transparent strips and making them transparent in spots. Now they all look brand new. And I am pleased I had the extras on hand to do it. I am enjoying my system immensely! You have my many thanks Doug man! :thumbup:

-PLP

IMG_0006 (3).jpg IMG_0008 (3).jpg

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
If I haven't thanked Doug yet I need to. He's the reason the VU meter light dispersion all looks the same across all eight meters. He supplied me with about eight diffuser strips during my initial mod. I only requested two at the time. With my new upgrade; I honestly had to replace all but one set of the originals due to the incandescent bulbs' heat burning thru the semi-transparent strips and making them transparent in spots. Now they all look brand new. And I am pleased I had the extras on hand to do it. I am enjoying my system immensely! You have my many thanks Doug man! :thumbup:

-PLP

View attachment 17082 View attachment 17083
I think you have thanked me previously, Dave. That is one great looking stack of amps!

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed

-PLP

View attachment 17082 View attachment 17083
They are a work of art, simply stunning! :thumbup:

Tagline
Does the one that loses light immediately have old PS caps?? No need to load the amp, doesn't hurt a thing.

Impressive set up Dave. Looked at your album....nice racks...
JUST now got to the issue today. Since I am Messing with the PL2000's; the system is apart.

Yes it has the original caps. I took it out to make sure. This is the one amp that swings to one side power up more so than the other three. And It's also the one who's LED lights seem to die off within a matter of 30 seconds. Unlike the 5 minites for the other three. Seems to draw more current than the others on power up. The 15A relay on my power conditioner doesn't like it and sometimes will click off for a split second, then feed the amp with power again. The others have no issue. Below is the innards.

IMG_0005.jpg

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
That power supply is not actaully a 220v supply is it ? if you're feeding 120v into a Euro-spec power supply its running at half the normal voltage. That will make it do silly things. A quick check of the rail voltage will tell the story. From ground buss to either cap terminal should be + or - 100v. If its around 50-60v, something is wrong.

Tagline
Jeez....that one needs A LOT of White Oak goodies....Did you leak test the PS caps??
Not as of yet. Just got it on the table. I am rudimentary at best with this stuff. Tell me, how do I go about it?

This amp has the light board. Yeah it needs a lot of goodies; but keep in mind, it's just a spare that comes on a looks pretty right now. I just need to situate the weird power up thing.................

Tagline
That power supply is not actaully a 220v supply is it ? if you're feeding 120v into a Euro-spec power supply its running at half the normal voltage. That will make it do silly things. A quick check of the rail voltage will tell the story. From ground buss to either cap terminal should be + or - 100v. If its around 50-60v, something is wrong.
Doubt it. See that orange wire hanging in front of the caps all tied off? I think that's the wire needed to wire the transformer for 220v. It's a dual/primary transformer version. The amp runs on 120v. I'll test the rail now..............

Tagline
I measured 105.3v on the rail.

Tagline
The way that terminal strip is wired...i doubt it's been converted back....
I have noted this before; but on these versions they use a GRAY power cord with a GROUND wire in it. This green wire in the cord is sent to the first back wall triple tab block and soldered in the center. Where it is then carried over eventually to the other blocks. (also from the factory; its tied in with the normal/direct coupled switch, which I believe my very first post on this thread discusses.

Unlike the other normal PL 700B's which have only two prongs. Is this a concern?

IMG_0006.jpg

Tagline
Only if it hums...
It doesn't. At least when I initially hooked it up for audio testing it didn't. Right now, it's a no load amp. It's just the odd power stuff thats a concern. I DO have new caps from the Group buy? But at 15,000 uf, am I gonna need a new rectifier to boot? Should I have to replace the caps?

I do not have the resistor or component level parts here. On our group buys...................when we get them; are they pre-formed? Or do we need to do that?

-I wish we could upload attachments in PM's. That part is tough to be specific about things without easy pics to show. (have to get on Jerry about that one). ;-)

So Lee.......
The PL 2000's......................

IMG_0001.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
On the group buy caps, I haven't formed any yet, I should, but no blowups........yet....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Going from 20K to 30K on the PS caps doesn't require a new BR, but hey....can't hurt......plus when it's out in front of you it's a lot easier to bypass it properly...

Tagline
Yep....look just like 2000"s.......yep, got a terrible case of smartass today....
No worries. I'm made of that stuff.

These will be the two I wanna send. One seems to have a heavier chassis and revised boards. Seems a later model. The other has a light weight aluminum chassis that I can hold up in the air with one finger if I tried hard enough. LOL! Kinda feels cheap. But regardless; both are symptomatic of the same issues. Poo........... :confused1:

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They're almost as old as you are.....have YOU had issues??

220K would mess up the leakage number....