What cartridge are you using?

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I almost have a BIC 960 together as the platter/pad are coming, need the lid hinges, are they the same as on the 912?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I like resurrecting deceased threads after 2-1/2 years...

I’m running a Benz-Micro Silver on my Rega Planar 3. A0491EB1-A983-436E-86F3-5DB3724D0643.jpeg AC5E4F38-0A47-4E2F-9FDB-B615BFF10BDB.jpeg

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Those type tonearms look like a pain for cartridge swapping. I shake too much & need the arm or headshell upside down to get the bolts started. I imagine threaded cartridges help a bit?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Beer is good and so is the arm/cartridge!

I guess if you swapped cartridges a lot it would be a hassle but I don’t. It would be easier to swap in another arm with the aligned cartridge of choice, but this combo works really well. Detailed without being overly analytical. Crappy recordings sound like crap and good ones sound great.

All my vinyl is antique so mostly done correctly. I get very few junkers and those are often general condition (surface noise) more than poor mastering

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I’m Rocking a Shure V15 type IV AE20F2CF-D2A7-4B6D-B202-30B2B56CEADA.jpeg but found this in a box. It’s bolted in as if original packaging... worth a fuck?

Denon DL103

Pops has a Denon TT, it could go to him also?

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I believe the Denon was created in the early 60's and is still in production, very much liked. Yes a moving coil type. The Shure cart well known and loved, moving magnet.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
What's your point?

Yeah, I think it is circa 1980.
The replacement I put on was $199USD (SAS) I think the cheapest option (conical) was $150. Not sure there’s any extra value in an NOS one, but I can’t replace it for $63 (which I assume was the original price)...

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I've owned two DL-103s and they were quite sibilant despite running them on high-ish mass tonearms.

I'm rockin' a Grado Blue1 in my Grado Lab Series tonearm. Good synergy.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Not to derail the convo ... but found this tonight. It's a valuable read. (can't comment on the vids ... didn't watch them)

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information
Interesting article. Many of my records were played with a conical stylus for years and not cleaned real well over the years. When I began playing them with the V15 SAS, even with wet brush cleaning, the first few plays the stylus would “dig” dirt out from the. Ottom of the grooves and clog to the point of distortion. Now that those records have been played and cleaned several times it’s become virtually not an issue.