Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Ordered the G1 driver circuit, so the E circuit will be inherited by the 400.
So anyway...

Biased at .36, remained at that point for a good long time, pretty stable!

DC offset was zero! The minus sign flashed off and on on the left side, but no numbers came up.
Right side showed nothing.

Damn good driver circuit!

Michael88

New Around These Parts
Hey Mark! I've been watching your videos on the 400. I just acquired a 400 series 1, never touched on the inside. I already ordered the dc speaker protection from Watts Abundant. I'll be doing the Cap upgrade in a few weeks. I have to finish my other project first(technics sl7) which I had to find a donor for. I've ran the amp lightly and actually quite impressed for the age of the internals never being touched. Good to see a post I can put a face to! Michael

MarkWComer

Tagline
Hey Mark! I've been watching your videos on the 400. I just acquired a 400 series 1, never touched on the inside. I already ordered the dc speaker protection from Watts Abundant. I'll be doing the Cap upgrade in a few weeks. I have to finish my other project first(technics sl7) which I had to find a donor for. I've ran the amp lightly and actually quite impressed for the age of the internals never being touched. Good to see a post I can put a face to! Michael
Glad someone's watching! I bought a new camera, restarted the 700 project, so a string of videos to come when I get some steps done on that one.

THANKS!

MarkWComer

Tagline
So then... the copper bus...

When I did the 400 there was a single point ground protruding through the left channel backplane.

We don't do that on the 700s?

Everything I see so far says DC protection, GND_IN1 & 2, and output ground to speakers hang off the copper bus ground.
No "star" grounds on the 700?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So then... the copper bus...

When I did the 400 there was a single point ground protruding through the left channel backplane.

We don't do that on the 700s?

Everything I see so far says DC protection, GND_IN1 & 2, and output ground to speakers hang off the copper bus ground.
No "star" grounds on the 700?
Full star ground. I have to ask you what is leading you to that conclusion Mark. Same as the 400. The center of the star is always the copper bus bar between the bulk caps.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Full star ground. I have to ask you what is leading you to that conclusion Mark. Same as the 400. The center of the star is always the copper bus bar between the bulk caps.
My backplane documentation states GND_IN1 & 2 attach to copper bus, DC circuit states add a lug to the ground wire and attach to one of the screws attaching the copper bus to the filter cap, and haven’t found anything that clearly states that I’m attaching a lug to the stud protruding through the left backplane board.

Maybe I didn’t print something?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My backplane documentation states GND_IN1 & 2 attach to copper bus, DC circuit states add a lug to the ground wire and attach to one of the screws attaching the copper bus to the filter cap, and haven’t found anything that clearly states that I’m attaching a lug to the stud protruding through the left backplane board.

Maybe I didn’t print something?
41. Add ONE 20AWG white jumper wire from the single point ground (bus bar between the 2 bulk capacitors) to the UPPER 6-32 standoff stud that you installed in the previous steps. Terminate this wire in a #6 lug. Place the solder lug on top of the 6-32 screw protruding through the standoff and thread on and tighten a 6-32 hex nut. This one connection ties the chassis to the DC ground for the amplifier. It is important that there is only ONE such connection.

1583965991571.png

MarkWComer

Tagline
41. Add ONE 20AWG white jumper wire from the single point ground (bus bar between the 2 bulk capacitors) to the UPPER 6-32 standoff stud that you installed in the previous steps. Terminate this wire in a #6 lug. Place the solder lug on top of the 6-32 screw protruding through the standoff and thread on and tighten a 6-32 hex nut. This one connection ties the chassis to the DC ground for the amplifier. It is important that there is only ONE such connection.

View attachment 40402
Yup... there it is... Found it in my binder where it should be, sorry about that...
The Watts Abundant doc details connection to the point-to-point chassis, but got that one, too.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Glad someone's watching! I bought a new camera, restarted the 700 project, so a string of videos to come when I get some steps done on that one.

THANKS!
Excellent! Waiting patiently for the new videos Mark, looking forward to the continuing adventures ahead. Thank you for doing them and the time you spend on them also.