DENON DP 1500 FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I'm exactly the opposite...it's not Rocket Science (R) to set up a turntable...either that or I am a lucky idiot.
A friend was at a get together with one if his albums. Played it, went home heard it again and was disappointed. Moved the needle 1/64th of an inch and was happy. It makes a serious different on the really good stuff. That 120 pounder has a $5000 cartridge on it.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That's where we differ. It's not really the fraction of an inch, it's the joy of having it and hearing it.

The record is a compromise. Two or more linear tracks are mixed and matrixed in a way that uses both sides and the bottom of groove to create an illusion of depth and separation that really never existed before it reached microphones and electronics. Then we force it into our heads as the representation of what happened and accept it as an actual fact.

The joy is discovering it.

The two or more linear tracks are a compromise, there is noise.

The amplifiers and instruments create noise, and the noise is revered for it's character.

Noise reduction tries to reduce unwanted noise.

Digital techniques and processors try to make a recording 'whole' again. In some ways they help. In others some lament that we'll never hear it the same way again.

To each their own, but the quest isn't there without the gift.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Not sure if you need a test record. I have an Lp that is blank on one side, perfect for setting up anti-skate, just put the needle down in the middle and make sure it stays there. VTF is another matter, remember you really can't hurt vinyl with too much force, stay in the sweet range the cart requires and you're good.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That's where we differ. It's not really the fraction of an inch, it's the joy of having it and hearing it.

The record is a compromise. Two or more linear tracks are mixed and matrixed in a way that uses both sides and the bottom of groove to create an illusion of depth and separation that really never existed before it reached microphones and electronics. Then we force it into our heads as the representation of what happened and accept it as an actual fact.

The joy is discovering it.

The two or more linear tracks are a compromise, there is noise.

The amplifiers and instruments create noise, and the noise is revered for it's character.

Noise reduction tries to reduce unwanted noise.

Digital techniques and processors try to make a recording 'whole' again. In some ways they help. In others some lament that we'll never hear it the same way again.

To each their own, but the quest isn't there without the gift.
HUH?????? No habla.....

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Bless Sutton's heart!! He hooked me up on a cart....

Looks to be relatively close to the Astrion in physical size.....maybe I'll get her mounted up this weekend....

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I hope you enjoy the cartridge, Lee.

Of all the different carts I have tried, I think Acutex stands heads and shoulders above all. It may be my setup, as I am using an SME 3009 early Series II and it is a mid mass arm. I don't know how the cart will fare on a low mass arm like the Black Widow. I know Acutex made some much better (and more expensive) carts, which were produced with low mass arms in mind, but those are long gone. Most of the research I have done indicates this particular cartridge will sound great on both low and mid mass arms.. I just hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Setup is critical on these carts, so if you have someone who has done a bunch of cartridge installations, I think that would be a big help. Also, I usually set tracking force around 2 grams for these in the beginning. You might be able to dial it down to 1.75 grams as the stylus settles in, but sibilance will be present if you don't get the alignment pretty darn close..

Please let me know what you think when you get her set up...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I had several of the Acutex carts in the past. An AK member had like 20 boxed ones and I ended up with half of them. They are good carts for short money. I sold them as I prefer Ortofon LOMC's and Soundsmith MI's

Last edited:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Sutton is right about the cartridge. I looked it up and it is a 15cu compliance unit and on the lightweight arm, it could benefit with a few grams of added mass. A lead spacer for the cartridge would probably do wonders. That is based on the 3 gram effective mass specified by Infinity for the arm, the 4 gram weight of the cartridge plus some for hardware. This gives a 15Hz resonance, a bit high, close to the low bass that might possibly be on records. Adding mass, the ∞BW will work with an 8 gram combo, cartridge and hardware, would lower the resonance a few Hz to maybe 12. All based on the calculator, not experience or testing with a record. Just info for you to enjoy.

The other high end models of this cartridge do have much higher compliance, needing a low mass arm but as stated they are long gone. This one should sound great set up properly. Looking forward to the pics with the cartridge and dust cover. Should look great.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Nevermind, looks like the Infinity is not easy to replace. Some folks have said about a few turns of solder wrapped about the middle of the tonearm helps with resonance and adding mass

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'd try the cart as is, and see what it sounds like. As was stated, some people add weight to the tonearm IF the compliance mismatch is too great. Thing is, with these cartridges, the listed compliance is all over the place, depending on where you look. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. I'd mount it up and give it a listen. If there are issues, we can address later, but I really don't know if you will have any problems. Like I said, I've read reviews from people using low mass arms without issue..

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The compliance from the manual is 15 and the other higher units in the line are up to 42 which would be ideal.

The ∞ can handle an 8 gram cartridge and with this total of 8 grams and the 15 compliance the resonance drops to 12Hz based on the charts. It is 15 without added weight, too high for many but that is because folks have been narrowing the ideal window to 8-11 hz. I believe you can go outside those frequencies and 5-6 up to 14 should be just fine, based on the record warp of a couple hertz and low bass on records of maybe 20 Hz as being the frequencies to avoid.

Your cartridge, we don't know the compliance other than spec and that spec was for a new cartridge. Don't know where it falls now. Give it a try and if low bass music doesn't sound right, the arm can balance up to 3 grams additional weight which will lower the resonance. Should work fine to start with. Not many records have extremely low frequency information as it makes the grooves too wide.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Cant wait to hear the listening test results. Congrats on the new cart Lee.