DENON DP 1500 FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't know, I have an AT 3642? and AT-11E, always liked AT and Empires (2000E especially) and I still have Larrt's Stanton 500 he sent me. Ran a Radio Shack/Shure R47XT with my very first Realistic turntable (my first period) and used it for well over 20 years until I either sold it or it went out with a turntable I sold, M44s, M9x. Same deal for my first cassette deck, it got a new head and strung along for nearly 25 years.

orange

Tagline
I'm not so sure their copywriter understands his irony.

"There is an almost irresistible urge to add complexity to any endeavor. The result is a tangled knot of disparate good ideas. Because there is always more that could be added, there is never an opportunity for long-term satisfaction. Never enough".

That's why I keep it simple and use a good receiver or integrated with a decent phono section and work from the turntable in.

To me, the table has to work well and then the cart and needle come in. Since I can't afford to mess with complex arm geometry and I don't like tangential tracking tables much I stick with what I know to be good.

It's not that I'm not picky, but I don't know how to make a science and art out of playing records. It's fun that way. Set it up right and just play stuff. 'Nuances' are interesting, but if they aren't my nuances...

I've got hundreds of records and will die before I nuance the entire set. Get it set up good and make the best you can of it without obsessing too much.

But that copywriter could be talking about the cowhide on your car seat and strategically placed cupholders, or the meaningless description of tradition in the form of six taillights on the new Chevrolet Caprice back in the 1990s. We all know cops dig tradition.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
The translation decodes to:

"You earn too much money and as a result you are spending money, needlessly, for components that aren't going to give you the satisfaction you are seeking."

Nando.

orange

Tagline
I spent 20+ years taping the stuff I checked out from the library too...that got me from Benny Goodman to XTC - English Settlement.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
A good phono preamp is important. When I went to my current external preamp the Cambridge Audio 651p, it made a positive change to the sound. The integrated Phono stage on the Pioneer VSX-9500s was a good start, upon listening to the recordings I did with that, they sound fine. The 651p is better than the integrated though. I look forward to upgrading next year sometime.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
So, Lee.........

Did you ever get the turntable up and running? I hope you did, cause you are missing something if not. The FR of a good recording on vinyl will blow your mind after listening to CDs and other media.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just Mike is building a new dust cover. I am getting an Audio Quest 7000 Fe5 on loan to see how it works on my setup..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'm trying to figure out how to use the AP to set it up. A test record would be needed right??

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I'm trying to figure out how to use the AP to set it up. A test record would be needed right??
Let us Know what you find for a test LP Lee. I have a bose demo lp somewhere that runs up from about 30hz to 10k but do not think it would be good enough.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Turntable tonearm set up is just following the manufactures instructions in the manual to put the stylus exactly where it needs to be with the proper angle of attack, tracking force and anti-skate. Really nothing to it but I have been doing it regularly since the 70s and one arm I have now allows mounting the cartridge on the headshell and that put the stylus where it needs to be and the lowers the changes to tracking force, anti-skate and VTA, and it has on the fly VTA adjustment. Simple really.

What is the AP you want to use to set up the Fe5?

Only thing I use a test record for is the antiskate, one of many methods, this one using a highly modulated recorded tone and verifying that both channels are distortion free. The channel with distortion is not tracking right so adjusting the a/s will move the needle in the grove to the proper location.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Thanks for the tips bud. The AP is the Audio Precision ATS-1DD audio analyzer. I it has a signal generator built in and a very sensitive analyzer in general. I did not set up the Denton to begin with. I bought it the way it was. The Black Widow doesn't appear to be that hard to deal with....

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
In our group, we had a guy that assembled a 120 pound turntable and was keen on going the extra distance to make sure everything was accurate. We were looking for a Shure or AT stylus microscope and he had acquired a Shure CPEK the cartridge evaluation kit. We had not started using it when he moved. That unit used specific records to do evaluations of the phono system. So much involved with getting that little diamond to move properly in a groove to get the best from vinyl.

orange

Tagline
I'm exactly the opposite...it's not Rocket Science (R) to set up a turntable...either that or I am a lucky idiot.