Most iconic vinyl album covers ever!

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request.
BubbaH,

Thanks for helping P.L.F. out on the Rolling Stones cover. I think its in the top of most iconic covers ever done.

P.L.F. , here is some more info for ya on the cover:

Upon its initial release, the album "drew mixed reviews from the critics as well as some mixed reactions within the group itself. In recent years, however, it has gained a cult following since it was The Rolling Stones' only overt outing into the psychedelic realm, and because of its lenticular cover (which critics still compare to the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album).

Without a doubt, no Rolling Stones album – and, indeed, very few rock albums from any era – split critical opinion as much as the Rolling Stones' psychedelic outing. Many dismiss the record as sub-Sgt. Pepper posturing; others confess, if only in private, to a fascination with the album's inventive arrangements, which incorporated some African rhythms, Mellotrons, and full orchestration. Never before or since did the Stones take so many chances in the studio. […] In 1968, the Stones would go back to the basics, and never wander down these paths again, making this all the more of a fascinating anomaly in the group's discography.

Lenticular printing is a technology in which lenticular lenses (a technology that is also used for 3D displays) are used to produce printed images with an illusion of depth, or the ability to change or move as the image is viewed from different angles.

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
BubbaH,

Thanks for helping P.L.F. out on the Rolling Stones cover. I think its in the top of most iconic covers ever done.

P.L.F. , here is some more info for ya on the cover:

Upon its initial release, the album "drew mixed reviews from the critics as well as some mixed reactions within the group itself. In recent years, however, it has gained a cult following since it was The Rolling Stones' only overt outing into the psychedelic realm, and because of its lenticular cover (which critics still compare to the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album).

Without a doubt, no Rolling Stones album – and, indeed, very few rock albums from any era – split critical opinion as much as the Rolling Stones' psychedelic outing. Many dismiss the record as sub-Sgt. Pepper posturing; others confess, if only in private, to a fascination with the album's inventive arrangements, which incorporated some African rhythms, Mellotrons, and full orchestration. Never before or since did the Stones take so many chances in the studio. […] In 1968, the Stones would go back to the basics, and never wander down these paths again, making this all the more of a fascinating anomaly in the group's discography.

Lenticular printing is a technology in which lenticular lenses (a technology that is also used for 3D displays) are used to produce printed images with an illusion of depth, or the ability to change or move as the image is viewed from different angles.
Goes on my list - thank you for this suggestion! ;-)

I will wrap up weekly my 'subjective TOP 20' to consider and eventualy finalize photocopies.

By the way, does anybody know where one can find high resolution files of album covers on the Internet? Googling images works but not a terrific quality usually available... A specialized website could be of help.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Somewhere in my collection I have the Blind Faith nude girl with toy airplane LP. That qualifies for iconic album cover I believe.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'm pretty sure that she was only slightly older than what looked like a GM hood ornament she held.

That sure freaked the people out who weren't already incensed by Get The Knack!

TWOFER!

Last edited: