David's Phase Linear 700B Thread

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
220k is a bit high. If you've got a bunch of them, you could make a big parallel lump to drop that down. Probably anything in the 1k-10k range would be acceptable though.

105v on the rail sounds right. I only asked because I happened to notice that sticker. I've spent so much time chasing my tail when ignoring obvious things like this that I tend to over-analyze them now.

I guess its a good thing I trash picked that 0-160v power supply. Its the perfect thing for forming low voltage caps used in solid state gear. I've had almost no use for it otherwise, but free HP gear is always coming home with me.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
WHAAAAA?? :eek: You mean you're not supposed to connect them together like THIS??

View attachment 17702
There's something very important I forgot to tell you.

What?

Don't cross the streams.

Why?

It would be bad.

I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Total protonic reversal.

Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Ok, at the moment; It's powered up on the bench. Came on with a slight swing; but that's normal. (as far as what I've read in the PL 700B service manual). Nothing exploded; so that's good. I'll go back out in five and power it down. Take a looksee and see if the LED's on the meters slowly discharge or not.

IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0010.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Does it sound OK?? I have a 400 that goes quickly and some 400's that don't, never lost any sleep over it.. my 700's act the same ...

Tagline
Are the others dual voltage primaries with mains in grounds??
Point one: No. I won't loose any sleep over it. I think we just want to make sure the bulk caps are not leaky. As that comes with a host of issues I'd gather.

Point two: Answering your question. YES. One other is a dual/primary. But It acts just like the others without the gray ground cord. It's just THIS goofy red-headed kid.....................

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Point one: No. I won't loose any sleep over it. I think we just want to make sure the bulk caps are not leaky. As that comes with a host of issues I'd gather.

Point two: Answering your question. YES. One other is a dual/primary. But It acts just like the others without the gray ground cord. It's just THIS goofy red-headed kid.....................
Did you measure the secondary AC voltage going to the light board? Should be around 5.8VAC

Tagline
I put things back they way they were. For now, it looks like the first White Oak conversion will be THIS amp! At least today was fruitful in that I now know which one I start with. Many thanks for the hand-holding during troubleshooting fella's. :toothy5:

IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0015.jpg