dbx DX5 Compact Disc player

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I got the Dx5 for $52 + $13 shipping. good value if it is any good??
We won't talk about how much I paid for mine, (3x) but you got a good price there. Mine is in the bedroom system and I really dig the DAIR expansion and the Ambience feature. It sounds great. I'd pay as much for another one...it is a big step up from the Pioneer DV-45A that was in there.
Plus, there's a volume control on the remote that is handy for older systems without remote control...ya done good! Hope that the shipper locked down the transport screws before he boxed it up...

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
Hello Ric.
Nice wall man.It just shouts the 60's. I even spot a photo of a street rod? A or T coupe? Good luck with your new cd player. I'm still
thinking of a new one to buy also. We joined up the same day bud, I was looking for PL700 info. I think we both came to the right place.
Thanks, I built that cabinet because I was tried of having to bend over to the floor to get records and run the system. Really in those days it was just the turntable and I think Roberts sound on sound, real to real. Its been with me a long time.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
We won't talk about how much I paid for mine, (3x) but you got a good price there. Mine is in the bedroom system and I really dig the DAIR expansion and the Ambience feature. It sounds great. I'd pay as much for another one...it is a big step up from the Pioneer DV-45A that was in there.
Plus, there's a volume control on the remote that is handy for older systems without remote control...ya done good! Hope that the shipper locked down the transport screws before he boxed it up...
No he didn't lock it down but everything seems to be working mechanically. I mean the trans port and all.

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
I am posting a photo of the lazer. it is dusty. How should i go about cleaning it
View attachment 15558
I have a Sony 5 disc carousel that keeps acting up. the CD "skips" near the beginning of the Cd. I use one of those CD cleaning discs with a built in brush on it.
I don't know if it is just slapping the lens silly or really doing something, but it fixes the problem I'm having for a month or so.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I am posting a photo of the lazer. it is dusty. How should i go about cleaning it
View attachment 15558
Blow on it, can 'o air? Just be careful not to jostle it or you will be fvcked. I never had the balls to open mine up or I would have adjusted the tray belt already :laughing5:. Unless it's warmed up, tray won't open until the second or third press of the button. It just clicks like it wants to open. Once it opens, good to go, works everytime

The DAIR is a fun thing but beware of using it with a WOPL. It's like a punch in the face. The ambiance feature is nice, really gives dimensions in two ways of listening and plenty of in between adjustment. The compression feature is nice to add life OR unbrick :laughing5: some CD recordings. All three features work sort of like a 3BX in compact form. I would think this feature would be handy in the recording process back to tape. Nando?

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
got the DX5 hooked up. there have been a few hiccups. I has had a problem with one CD. first not reading, seemed to be throwing a code on it. then at random point it does that dreaded DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. But that has been just the one disk so far but is about my favorite CD. It seams very bright in the upper mids as well. Haven't really got much going with the controls yet. I used EQ to meow it out by bring the loudness contour on my receiver to +2.

While I have been sitting here I see that the place on that disk is not random it seems to be right at 4 min into the first track. I was able to advance it past that spot while it was still running to a point about 5-10 seconds ahead and it started playing again and is still going.:roll:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
It's an interesting CDP. As far as the sound processing modes, I know that with some CDs the dbx 3BX comes in handy to rescue some of the dynamics. When I am recording from CD and vinyl onto tape, it's quite apparent, in some cases, which source has been mastered not as well as others - and this goes for both formats - with the range from softest to loudest tones being quite narrow while monitoring the peak meters on my cassette deck.

Nando.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
This is an interesting piece of equipment. Having had 24+ hrs with it I have come to like better as I have listened more. The little glitch with the sticking disk turned out to be the disk and only in that one spot, 4 min in on the first track. I have to say with some excitement I have for the first time experienced a sound scape of sorts with my system by adjusting the Ambience and the Dair up quite a lot. This is listening at fairly low volume but.... I won't say spectacular, it is distinct and pleasing. I am saying that this unit is a definite step up from the Sony changer it replace.:cool:

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I know why the video keeps buffering, You Tube...because people can't upload stuff that is bandwidth appropriate or at least small enough for slower DSL services...

You don't need that high of a quality video to watch a CD player when you are showcasing the audio.

Northwinds

Tagline
It's an interesting CDP. As far as the sound processing modes, I know that with some CDs the dbx 3BX comes in handy to rescue some of the dynamics. When I am recording from CD and vinyl onto tape, it's quite apparent, in some cases, which source has been mastered not as well as others - and this goes for both formats - with the range from softest to loudest tones being quite narrow while monitoring the peak meters on my cassette deck.

Nando.
I have a dbx 1BX coming from a trade of records. Supposed to be minty and comes with rack handles. Is it just a earlier/stripped down version of the 3BX Nando? I confess to laziness on looking it up and was going to post the question anyway. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and how it compares to the ADC DSS-100 when I get it later this week. I think the dbx adjusts the higher curves also? It might relegate the ADC to garage duties then

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
hey, I like Babs...it's the uploading that didn't work in my mind

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have a dbx 1BX coming from a trade of records. Supposed to be minty and comes with rack handles. Is it just a earlier/stripped down version of the 3BX Nando? I confess to laziness on looking it up and was going to post the question anyway. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and how it compares to the ADC DSS-100 when I get it later this week. I think the dbx adjusts the higher curves also? It might relegate the ADC to garage duties then
Ron: Maybe, it's best to get into a discussion regarding this topic in a dedicated thread about sound processors. There might be plenty of opinions on the use of them.

Nando.

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I actually picked up a DX5 last weekend off a local craigslist guy. I have never owned a high-end CD player and am quite impressed with this. I definitely find myself adjusting the ambience/compression/DAIR knobs to find a sound that I like on each CD I spin. Just wish I had the remote!

I'm actually a bit bummed because this thing is giving my vinyl a run for its money...it still sounds very clean and sterile compared to a record.

Northwinds

Tagline
The DX5 is the best sounding CD player I ever heard. I have the rare rack handles and remote but never used them