dbx DX5 Compact Disc player

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The DX5 is the best sounding CD player I ever heard. I have the rare rack handles and remote but never used them
I have noticed that it does not play nicely with CD-Rs...not that I'm complaining. The addition of the DX5 to my system has helped to control my obsession of collecting all of my favorite albums on vinyl haha. I just wish I had treated my CDs with a little bit more respect over the years!

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have noticed that it does not play nicely with CD-Rs...not that I'm complaining. The addition of the DX5 to my system has helped to control my obsession of collecting all of my favorite albums on vinyl haha. I just wish I had treated my CDs with a little bit more respect over the years!
Every CD-R that I own including all the ones Lee sent me of Shpongle + other bootleg recordings I have play in mine perfectly. Maybe need to clean your lens?

Northwinds

Tagline
Take the top off and clean the eye. Isopropyl and a Q-tip, just do it gently and then maybe take the dry end to make sure there is no residue

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Take the top off and clean the eye. Isopropyl and a Q-tip, just do it gently and then maybe take the dry end to make sure there is no residue
I had read ethanol, but I'll go with the Isopropyl. The guy I bought this from was definitely a smoker...the unit reeks of cigs and potpourri, so I'm sure there is some residue on the inside. Gross :tongue6:

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Ron: Maybe, it's best to get into a discussion regarding this topic in a dedicated thread about sound processors. There might be plenty of opinions on the use of them.

Nando.

I've had a 1BX for years - it came with the 700B in 1990. But it's been shelved for the last few because I wanted a 3BX. I cannot describe exactly the difference between the two except a 1BX is more subtle. It adds a little something but not as much as a 3BX. To this day I don't understand how they work and at what frequencies.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I had read ethanol, but I'll go with the Isopropyl. The guy I bought this from was definitely a smoker...the unit reeks of cigs and potpourri, so I'm sure there is some residue on the inside. Gross :tongue6:
I was dicking around with a Philips CD614 and after lining the inside with sound dampening, it started skipping intermittently. Looking a reason, I read about cleaning the disc clamp and making sure the lens was clean. Did the former (and there was some caked on schmutz) then used IPA on the lens. Played a dozen or so discs successfully then the skipping started again. I re-read some stuff including a recommendation to use methyl hydrate/denatured alcohol and that it evaporated faster was pointed out. I used it to clean the lens and so far (knock on melamine) it hasn't skipped. May not be a forever fix but time will tell.

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I was dicking around with a Philips CD614 and after lining the inside with sound dampening, it started skipping intermittently. Looking a reason, I read about cleaning the disc clamp and making sure the lens was clean. Did the former (and there was some caked on schmutz) then used IPA on the lens. Played a dozen or so discs successfully then the skipping started again. I re-read some stuff including a recommendation to use methyl hydrate/denatured alcohol and that it evaporated faster was pointed out. I used it to clean the lens and so far (knock on melamine) it hasn't skipped. May not be a forever fix but time will tell.
Thankfully, I don't have any issues with skipping...however, I put a black CD-R in there and it was not able to get a good read on the disc and would just spin and spin without playing. I haven't tried any of the "normal" CD-R discs yet. I'll probably pop it open this weekend just to take a look inside...curiosity!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The DX5 is the best sounding CD player I ever heard. I have the rare rack handles and remote but never used them
So Ron what do you think of this 5 on eBay item # 381442783922

i have HD Sony player that I got when CD players were replaced by blue ray

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Cleaned the lens this weekend and now it plays the CD-R like a champ...the black disc still has trouble, but I'm not going to lose sleep over that!

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---

Looks cleaner than mine! I've got the paint wearing off some of the commonly used buttons. I paid $150 for mine, just FYI. I have read about people scoring these at Goodwill for $15...but that's pure luck. I think $250 is pretty standard in the audiophile community.

Northwinds

Tagline

Just saw this Brother, sorry for the late reply. It looks decent but without the remote and rack handles, no way for $250. I think a fair price for any of these working is $150 in that shape w/ no extras but again, deal do come up

FWIW, I DID pay $10 for mine at a music instrument lessons/shop here in Coventry about 5 years ago. It came with remote, rack handles and 2 original copies of the operating manual. I gave one to a guy on AK when he got his DX5

For what it does, it's pretty amazing. I can't think of a better spent dollar for a used CDP that is affordable yet offers that kind of performance

Seems like a lot of guys I know have paid on average $125-150 for working no extras ones

Northwinds

Tagline
Yes. I think a lot of people have qustions that they are afraid to ask.
Processers can be useful tools, there should be no fear in asking questions and hopefully getting unbiased answers. If it sounds good to the listener, that is all that matters in the end. They can help tame a set of speakers or make a less then favorable listening environment better

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I know why the video keeps buffering, You Tube...because people can't upload stuff that is bandwidth appropriate or at least small enough for slower DSL services...

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Just thought I would stop in and say my DX5 is still spinnin' da tunes, reliable as hell for sure and I love the sound

schreiben

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
We joined up the same day bud, I was looking for PL700 info. I think we both came to the right place.

Last edited:

Ultron09

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Ad Astra
Hello...reviving this thread...recently started using my DBX DX-5 again (I bought it brand new in 1988) after my Sony ES DVD/SACD stopped working, whose still got theirs up and running?