Nick Danger's Yamaha M80 Amplifier Repair/ Restoration

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Then if not wave soldering replacement components is there still a reason if he doewsn't plan on shipping?
No compelling reason.

"Doesn't plan on shipping."

Never say never.

I used to have >100 pieces of Yamaha gear and nearly every piece has had proper repairs or refurb completed. I sold off a large part of it and SHIPPED nearly all of them. Not a single one had any issues, let alone any issues related to shipping.

SHIPPING damage is what brought me to Colorado in 1992 for a job. Maybe I'll tell that boring story some time.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Fcuk brutal - you come in hot and hard. I like that! :shock: Don't take that the wrong way tho unless you're a hot babe and I'm thinking that's not the case.

It sounds like you've had an arse tonne of Yammie gear over the years. There's a lot of good and great hardware on that list. Cool - glad to see you here. A Nav babe for the newbie. I think she's listening to a Yamaha. :glasses8:

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Fcuk brutal - you come in hot and hard. I like that! :shock: Don't take that the wrong way tho unless you're a hot babe and I'm thinking that's not the case.

It sounds like you've had an arse tonne of Yammie gear over the years. There's a lot of good and great hardware on that list. Cool - glad to see you here. A Nav babe for the newbie. I think she's listening to a Yamaha. :glasses8:
Through Sony MDR headphones, of course.

Nick Danger

Thank you!

Just wanted to thank all of my Phoenix phamily in advance for the help on this repair! Mad, mad props to brutal and avionics for showing up to lend their expertise- sorry about the PM harrassment to you both and appreciate you taking the time to see the massacre I have started to create.

Nick Danger

I have removed a few caps, bus bars and a jumper at this point and figured it was time to start removing the glue. Been using a combo of picks and needlenose to get at it. So much glue was used that some components are completely covered in the stuff.

Eyeballing the caps still in the unit and the ones removed look good with no leaks or bulges.

Bus bars need to be addressed as corrosion was beginning to take hold.

Figure I would stop at this point and ask how it looked to more experienced eyes and minds. Cheers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You are going to replace all electo's ....right?? Acetone will do the rest ..maybe... Buss Bars...Tarnx

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Keep track of where those Blackgates came out of , you could probably go with Nichicon KZ's in place of those...if not the right value in KZ's, Elna Silmic II's...