Wyn Palmer Phono Pre Build

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Done-ish. Didn't do the grounds yet. My Rega arm doesn't have a separate ground wire anyways. I used an IEC connector for power and an old Radio Shack neon indicator push button switch

Attachments

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
The Stanton 500 type cart I'm using is too hot and overloading this preamp. The way I built it according to the documentation it has 43db of gain, I ordered some resistor sets to change it to 40db or 36db of gain. At the moment I've switched back to that TCC TC-750 phono preamp with its published 40db of gain and the crispiness is gone.

The TCC preamp sounds cheap compared to this one though. Surprised?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Not surprised.

This little preamp has caused serious disruption of the high-cost phono preamps market. It compares easily with units costing 10k and more (sometimes sounds better) and bests all tube phono preamps.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Alright set up for 36db of gain. Just right!

That TCC is a muddy turd in comparison. Amazing what a guy can do with a few resistors, capacitors, inexpensive op amps, an off the shelf SMPS.....

And I don't care what anyone says, the EAR 834 is NOT a good phono preamp......

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Wyn wanted to use op amps just to prove op amps can sound good when properly implemented. Same with the “evil” SMPS and look what he did.

Hrs working on a “better” one now but the parallel op amp version (V3) is plenty good enough for anyone.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Parallel op amps dropped the distortion a bit. I used that board for my MC as the gain is high so the noise comes up with it.

The MM board is the same as yours. Single op amp.