Wyn Palmer Phono Pre Build

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
All the goodies are here! I am doing the moving magnet build so 40-ish Db of gain.

Question 1: any reason I should use the SOIC to DIP adapter boards rather than just stick them SOICs right to the board?

Attachments

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I used them only because I wasn’t comfortable mounting them and wanted error insurance.

When I made the headphone amp I directly soldered everything, and those were more difficult due to a large heat sink pad.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Done with the main board. Gonna half ass the smps filter circuit on some perf board tomorrow. Doing the SOICs weren't too bad, just use some more flux. Nichicon FGs were used in lieu of Elna Silmics due to lack of availability. I also gotta come up with an enclosure...... IMG_20240105_213208417.jpg

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
All opamps, all used in the phono preamp. I opted to not use the preamp/buffer circuit (I don't think I need it). the first opamps are OPA1641AIDs, second set are OPA1611AIDRs, the DIP opamp is a TL052.

More details here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iwr55ql8ynmfnx/AADX2-izp3fJig0ZrnkxcJwTa?dl=0
an there's a big Audiokarma thread too. you use different Opamps/resistors/capacitors depending on the gain you need.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
There are two versions one for MM and the other for MC. Rather than simply altering gain, the higher gain MM version uses parallel op amps to reduce distortion further. The entire circuit is optimized for the particular cartridge type.

The accuracy of the RIAA correction is about an order of magnitude better than 98% of the others out there. First time I saw the term mdB used…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
He’s onto an improved one right now with noise about 2-3dB lower than this version.

There is almost nothing out there with lower noise. It’s pretty remarkable but I’m not planning to build the new version unless I make it into a line amp.

mlucitt

All opamps, all used in the phono preamp. I opted to not use the preamp/buffer circuit (I don't think I need it). the first opamps are OPA1641AIDs, second set are OPA1611AIDRs, the DIP opamp is a TL052.
From https://www.eenewseurope.com/en/op-...g-the-right-op-amp-jfet-input-types-reviewed/
The TL052 from Texas Instruments was designed to be an enhancement of the TL072, and so is naturally compared with it. Most of the improvements are in the DC specifications. The offset voltage is 0.65 mV typical, 1.5 mV max, compared with the TL072’s 3 mV typical, 10 mV max. It has half the bias current of the TL072. This is very praiseworthy, but rarely of much relevance to audio.

The distortion, however, is important, and this is worse rather than better. THD performance is rather disappointing at 19 nV/√Hz . As usual, practical distortion depends very much on how heavily the output is loaded, it deteriorates badly for loads of less than 4k7.

The slew rate is higher than for the TL072 (18 against 13 V/µs) but the lower figure is more than adequate for a full-range output at 20 kHz, so this enhancement is of limited interest. The power consumption is higher, typically 2.3 mA per op-amp section, which is almost twice that of the TL072. Like the TL072, the TL052 is relatively relaxed about supply-rail decoupling. At the time of writing (2009) the TL052 costs at least twice as much as the TL072.

The OPA2134 is a Burr-Brown product, the dual version of the OPA134. The manufacturer claims it has superior sound quality, due to its JFET input stage.

The input noise voltage is 8 nV/√Hz, better than half that of the TL052. The slew rate is typically ±20 V/µs, which is ample. The OPA2134 does not appear to be optimized for DC precision, but the typical offset voltage being ±1 mV, it is more consistent than the TL052, this is unusually good for audio work.

The OPA2134 does not show phase reversal anywhere in the common-mode range, which immediately marks it as superior to the TL052.

Just saying... This is why we use Texas Instruments SoundPlus™ OPA134 Series Audio Operational Amplifiers in our WOPLs.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Last edited:

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Okay so the SMPS filter circuit didn't materialize, neither did the enclosure. I had to hear it anyways. So here's this thing......
It does work and sounds great so far. Noticably less distortion than anything else I've had here IMG_20240106_214213226.jpg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think all my enclosures came via eBay.

The ones I used have a thicker front panel but the headphone amp enclosure is similar in size to that one.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Cheap or not, this design deserves a proper case. It is literally a world-beater.