WOPL 400 Down Under

Hello again wise ones
It's been a while however I feel the universe was telling me that a WO upgrade must be taken slowly.
This is due to what Joe called "the shipment from hell"
Anyway my upgraded chassis and assorted bits have finally arrived. I took the large step today and removed the chosen donor trannie today and upon close inspection there seems to be what looks like either glue or flux on the plates surrounding it.
Should I try and clean it up or leave it?
PS Shipment from hell took 4 months to get to me here in Australia. Apparently arrived in Oz late November and took a couple of months to travel the last 3000 kilometres ( those that use imperial will have to work it out)

Attachments

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Hello again wise ones
It's been a while however I feel the universe was telling me that a WO upgrade must be taken slowly.
Anyway my upgraded chassis and assorted bits have finally arrived. I took the large step today and removed the chosen donor trannie today and upon close inspection there seems to be what looks like either glue or flux on the plates surrounding it.
PS Shipment from hell took 4 months to get to me here in Australia. Apparently arrived in Oz late November and took a couple of months to travel the last 3000 kilometres ( those that use imperial will have to work it out)
The transformer plates are varnished so they are electrically isolated from each other. Do not wire brush or disturb the varnish coating, and do not paint the plates.

Thanks George I'll leave it well alone.
What about the wiring from the unit can that be replaced with something more compliant?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
But for everything else, hopefully you ordered the wiring kit offered here. I don’t remember who sells it but it’s great product and price. Teflon insulation so as the amp reaches 400F inside the wiring won’t melt.

Understood now Lee and thanks
Yes Jim I managed to get a wiring kit from White Oak. Will that be acceptable for my build?
LoL Joe is helping me a great deal but I don't want to bother him too much so figured I would share the love
Maybe I'm a case of all the gear and no idea?
I haven't found anyone here to help me with this so here I am

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hello again wise ones

Those shellac bubbles can be gently shaved off for paint if they bug you. The shellac helps keep the transformers from buzzing. I shave them and apply paint on many builds.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The transformer plates are varnished so they are electrically isolated from each other. Do not wire brush or disturb the varnish coating, and do not paint the plates.
It wont hurt anything. It's to help keep buzzing down. A thin piss can coat of black won't harm either. You don't want to sand it down though. I also will clean them up with the green scratchy before paint.

Last edited:

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Understood now Lee and thanks
Yes Jim I managed to get a wiring kit from White Oak. Will that be acceptable for my build?
LoL Joe is helping me a great deal but I don't want to bother him too much so figured I would share the love
Maybe I'm a case of all the gear and no idea?
I haven't found anyone here to help me with this so here I am
you are in the best place...with communication and pics...they will not allow you to build a crappy amp...as i was told 2 wopls ago...lol
joes stuff is top notch...period...

Sniff
They add character so don't really bother me regarding looks. I prefer function over form to be honest. However if both can be had all the better and Joe's gear definitely has both.
All I really want at the end is a keeper which I'm sure I will get with the help of all you guys

gene french

Tagline
I've had this song in my head all morning.
this thread was started months ago...when he started posting again upon receipt of parts...i went back to reread and refresh...stumbled on this post mr. george...it does get in your head!!!
lololol

George S.

I've often thought about revarnishing the the outside of the transformers, although I haven't because mine are in good shape. Anybody tried it? Only "varnish" I've ever used is polyurethane. Probably not the proper material.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I've often thought about revarnishing the the outside of the transformers, although I haven't because mine are in good shape. Anybody tried it? Only "varnish" I've ever used is polyurethane. Probably not the proper material.
Really no reason to . As long as they aren't noisy/buzzing which can indicate the layers are delaminating. I think there was a thread where one of the guys was going to re-dip it but I think his issue was his test equipment/setup making him chase noise that wasn't there.

gene french

Tagline
Really no reason to . As long as they aren't noisy/buzzing which can indicate the layers are delaminating. I think there was a thread where one of the guys was going to re-dip it but I think his issue was his test equipment/setup making him chase noise that wasn't there.
couple of mine...someone painted the transformer plates black...didnt match the other corrosion...lol
it did look nice...all of the amps are dead silent...good enough for me!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
How about spraying the transformers with rattle-can truck bed liner? That should dampen any errant vibrations... and the texture would look cool (most important, obviously).
I wouldn't. The transformer can put off a fair amount of heat and I would think that the liner would hold that in.