WOPL 400 Down Under

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Servicing most old test equipment consists mainly of replacing aged electrolytic capacitors and adjusting to specs. That unit most probably has no capacitors or adjustment pots in it. Just make sure all the wiring connections and hardware are tight.
I have my isolation transformer and Variac as separate units, no hum or vibration when used separately, together, or with a dim bulb tester.
If you think it may have a issue, post about here.
You might inspect the wiper and contact area to make sure it's clean. The knob turns a shaft, wipers on end of shaft. Pretty simple early tech.

George S.

I would guess the red one is 115 VAC, and the black one 230 VAC? Hmm, wonder if there's a big wirewound resistor in there thats possibly burned.
Easy enough to take voltage readings.

Lee I believe the two sockets under the voltmeter are the outputs. The left is an Aussie socket and the right is a UK socket. Obviously there is the option to hookup without a lead also.
I have also attached a picture of the amphenol connectors and their surrounds.
Could the transformer I thought was isolation actually be for the 115v feed?

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Lee I believe the two sockets under the voltmeter are the outputs. The left is an Aussie socket and the right is a UK socket. Obviously there is the option to hookup without a lead also.
I have also attached a picture of the amphenol connectors and their surrounds.
Could the transformer I thought was isolation actually be for the 115v feed?
Looks like there might be a 115 tap off the main autoformer....check and see where the wires go from the Amphenol connector..

George S.

Sniff thanks for reminding me that I wanted to post this. Here's a photo of the wiper which is indeed a carbon brush on this Variac unit. This particular one is a NOS W5R 6 amp with the "Duratrack" construction from 1965. Got the dial plate, paperwork and box. Someday I'll put it to use.

Attachments

Last edited: