WO 400 S2 R-Ch Distortion at Half Volume

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You positive bulk cap is on the bottom and the negative one is on the top from the photos. This is opposite of Phase Linear convention where the positive bulk cap is on the top. It is hard to tell where wires go from there as many of them are the same color. The top bulk cap screw looks like some welding went on there.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
If your still here and happen to see this, I see one very apparent issue. Your transformer output wires that exit the right hand hole should connect directly to the rectifier. This creates the B+ and B- that are fed to the storage caps. Maybe your wiring arrangement eventually does this, but I see those wires heading across the back plane.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I see on another photo it probaly loops back to rectifier. So fix the storage cap polarity like Joe pointed out,. Starting with the top cap, + should be uppermost with B+ wire connections, and below it the - connects to the copper bus bar. On the lower storage cap, + connects to the copper bus bar, and below it at the very bottom is -, this is B- for those wire connections. So B+ at very top, and B- at very bottom. This is a common mistake many first time builders make. Fix it and she should sing!

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Zstangl

IMO I think the best place to start is to order the wiring kit. it would not take long to rewire it and joe has good documentation for all the wires and color codes and it would be a lot easier for you to troubleshoot it and the forum also Good Luck.