White Oak Audio Design - Model ONE 1000 Watt Stereo Amplifier

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
... and transformer. I actually wondered why White Oak didn’t do the “Model One” a long time ago, but I see that the line of progressive improvements have finally led to this. Yes, I drool over this, but understand that what I have in the gear that I have is exceptional.
A very simple answer Mark...

I am only one person. It takes a lot of time and effort for one person to make all the design tradeoffs and crank out all the design work single handedly. I sincerely wish I was faster... :)

I did lean into this community for several survey responses along the way, to gather as much of the desires as possible before hitting the print button. I am thankful for that valuable input this community provided. I tried very hard to hit all the desires out of the chute.

Mr Lucitt will tell you that one of the boards is at RevD at the initial release and 2 others are at RevB. The meter development took the better part of a year alone. Covid shut down my key mech fabricator 2 times during the effort.

Not complaining, just the reality of the situation. Quite the contrary, I am very thankful this Thanksgiving.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
And I am extremely appreciative for all the participation and support by Mr Lucitt to help debug all the kits, labels, BOMs, documentation, assemblies, etc. associated with this large project. That process is still in progress as Mark builds the second serial number. He has proven to be able to put up with all my mistakes and keep a smile on his face during that process. We still have many questions going back and forth between us as this progresses along.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?

I am only one person. It takes a lot of time and effort for one person to make all the design tradeoffs and crank out all the design work single handedly. I sincerely wish I was faster... :)

I did lean into this community for several survey responses along the way, to gather as much of the desires as possible before hitting the print button. I am thankful for that valuable input this community provided. I tried very hard to hit all the desires out of the chute.

Mr Lucitt will tell you that one of the boards is at RevD at the initial release and 2 others are at RevB. The meter development took the better part of a year alone. Covid shut down my key mech fabricator 2 times during the effort.

Not complaining, just the reality of the situation. Quite the contrary, I am very thankful this Thanksgiving.
An LLC and employees?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five

You’re a brilliant man with unquestionably admirable achievements, I thank you for your efforts and greatly enjoy your products. You amaze me! Jeez- that means that you’re the one who prebends all of those component leads!

Thank you!

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator

Thank You Joe, for sharing your passion with all of us. This is exciting !!!!!
We have a unique group of people here on the forum, and the creativity, engineering, and dedication of us all is exemplified in the continuous improvements you strive for.....
"Always working on making it better... "

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You’re a brilliant man with unquestionably admirable achievements, I thank you for your efforts and greatly enjoy your products. You amaze me! Jeez- that means that you’re the one who prebends all of those component leads!

Thank you!
With the help of the pair of crank operated lead bending machines, yes :) You would be amazed at the amount of poly zip bags are gone through...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
With the help of the pair of crank operated lead bending machines, yes :) You would be amazed at the amount of poly zip bags are gone through...
And how many printed stick- on labels…
With all you said, I couldn’t be more impressed.
You’re a hero!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Out of curiosity what are the paper (calculated) specs looking like?

Specifically noise floor and distortion

Frequency response etc.

I believe still class A/B and if so, where is the expected switchover point (and can we move it around messing with bias)

Just thinking another reason the counterpoints sound good is they hang longer in class A before switching into B at an increased volume where it is lost in the other noise.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Out of curiosity what are the paper (calculated) specs looking like?

Specifically noise floor and distortion

Frequency response etc.

I believe still class A/B and if so, where is the expected switchover point (and can we move it around messing with bias)

Just thinking another reason the counterpoints sound good is they hang longer in class A before switching into B at an increased volume where it is lost in the other noise.
Same great performance as my 700 or 400 Kits Jim. The design is based on that heritage.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
This is what I'm using now (or was, when I had the rig up):

S/N Ratio: 84 dB below 1 watt out, measured from 400 Hz to 80 kHz, with 8-ohm load.
THD Into 8-Ohm Load: Stereo, 0.5% at 200 watts out, 0.1% at 10 watts, 0.05% at 1 watt; bridged mono, 0.5% at 200 watts, 0.10% at 10 watts, 0.08% at 1 watt.

Both the noise and distortion numbers are not stellar, and that is on a brand new (1990) unit... I should recap these amps if I keep them.

Article/test:
Counterpoint SA-220 Power Amp (Jul. 1990) (gammaelectronics.xyz)

$6,500 amp in today's dollars...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Will it be rack mount friendly?
I would say partially...and it depends what you mean by rack mount friendly. It has been designed to meet the NEMA rack standards and possesses rack mount holes in the faceplate to align properly with NEMA rack spacing.

I do not recommend mounting by the faceplate alone (ears) without a shelf underneath it due to the large mass of the primary toroid. The toroid is located as close as physically possible to the front to optimize for the rack mount condition and for minimization of electrical noise reasons.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I would say partially...and it depends what you mean by rack mount friendly. It has been designed to meet the NEMA rack standards and possesses rack mount holes in the faceplate to align properly with NEMA rack spacing.

I do not recommend mounting by the faceplate alone (ears) without a shelf underneath it due to the large mass of the primary toroid. The toroid is located as close as physically possible to the front to optimize for the rack mount condition and for minimization of electrical noise reasons.
Can the transformer be turned 90 degrees and mount to the faceplate perhaps? I don't know the diameter of the toroid or case height. Still, I agree to NOT rely solely on the face for mounting...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Can the transformer be turned 90 degrees and mount to the faceplate perhaps? I don't know the diameter of the toroid or case height. Still, I agree to NOT rely solely on the face for mounting...
Only if the amp is 6U tall or >9" in height Jim. A 1500VA toroid is serious in size and mass. The gold colored steel item that Mark has pictured in the first photo he posted is the shield cover for it. And then there would be no practical room for anything else on the faceplate.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I don't see the problem with 9" tall... Longer heatsinks too!

And who needs meters on a power amp?