where to find an amp(tube)

wkmc

Journeyman
hi,
i am so glad to have found this forum,so far you have impressed me with what i have found here.

it is time to express....(below average)
i have been lurking/looking at topics for a while
(new to here)
listening to talk/post i have decided that i want to try and listen to tubes, thought i was satisfied with what i have....
now i want more(who knows why)
ok on with it.....
presently my sound comes from

peavey cs 800 - two channel - older piece
peavey sp4 - pair
kenwood cd changer(200 disc)
technics sp 15 tbl / shure m91(havent used for a while)

that is all i have hooked up to listen to at the computer desk

but now i want a tube in my life(i think)
(winter comming will help with heating)

the peavey setup really does sound good to me and my snuff-boxes

you with more wisdom than me tell me if a univox u-1226 two channel amp will sub for a tube amp and deliver somewhat decent sound for listening
either that or offer suggestions for a direction.
i sorta was thinking that the cs800 sounds ok would the univox work?
as a said new here hoping to borrow wisdom from the better.

go ahead ---- i think i can take it
wkmc / bill

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Someone with more experience with tubes will have to answer, as I'm strictly a solid state guy, come to find out!!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Bill, you have lot's of options, more info would help.

How much $'s do you have to play with?
Would you prefer new (mostly Chinese gear), or older (mostly American)? Since you're new to tubes, I'd look at new units, or a professionally rebuilt older. I have a tech here in Tucson who's a tube guru. He likes the sound of the older rebuilt gear, but he's using a nice newer Chinese amp right now.

Do you want a tube amp or tube preamp, or both to start?
Or maybe a tubed CDP like Larry and Web are using? Just having tubes somewhere in the system will impart that magic in the sound.

What part of the country do you live in? Tell me what your looking to spend and I'll call my guy. Also, are the Peavey's your main speakers? You mentioned some other things I wasn't familiar with if they were speakers or just other components.

wkmc

Journeyman
thanks tuson,
stuwee...

money is tight here as it is most anywhere, havent thought much about doing the dig in the rat hole as of yet so, probably on the chEEp...

so not knowing... tube + tube are the thoughts so far(if one is good then two is better) if i like it with half tube then i probably will always be thinking if the other half was the same then....ALL WOULD BE BETTER

part of the country...
well east coast, south carolina(if i were closer to you i would be knocking on your door for the logans and the yammie) OH how i wish.....

the peavey...
sorta forgot a few important pieces
1 cd 200 disc player
2 mitsubshi da p10 pre
3 peavey q231 eq
3 peavey cs800 amp
4 then the peavey sp 4s speaker

left a couple of the components out in the first list, it was just a throw together and it sorta sounds good to me, AND it will get loud if i want it to.
i wondered for a while if i was sorta trying to overkill with this stuff... but waslooking on the AK post show us your listening space saw someone with peavey speakers(so i thought maybe i'm not so far over the edge) what i noticed with the peavey combo (to me) the clarity. this from the untrained snuff-box.

so the univox 1226 is out huh?
sorta hoping i had something that would work ---- SHUUUuuuu. it
BTW! the peavey sits in front of a mac 4100.... for some strange reason my snuff-box wants to like the peavey(never said that i was right---- not even close)
thanks again

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Peavys should do well.They are driven by mostly tube amps any way. I don't think you will ever blow them. Do like I did.I shopped around for a kit. I can build it any way I want to. There are some nice kits out there.

Larry

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Bill, here's my take, that Univox is a head amp, and while head amps can have some yummy tubes like KT-88's, 6550's and EL34's, they were not designed for that usage, it would sound alright, but not the best you could get by far. If you're handy you could build one like Larry said.

A couple warnings about tube gear, dangerous voltages lurk in them even after they've been unpluged, you can get a nasty jolt if you aren't careful.

Unknown used tube gear should also be treated with caution, never leave the room or the house with one on, it could be a big fire hazard :angryfire: !! I have a lovely old tube console that is melt you in your chair tits. there is a magic in a tube sound, I'm waiting for a call back from my buddy to see what he's got avaliable.

wkmc

Journeyman
K.....K..... see shows what i know
50 cent transistor radio cant touch the sound...........................
sometimes i really hate the american language
so many ways to define STUFF
COOL though, larry

speakerman1

Tagline
wkmc said:
K.....K..... see shows what i know
50 cent transistor radio cant touch the sound...........................
sometimes i really hate the american language
so many ways to define STUFF
COOL though, larry

LOL It is all the same. I like some SS gear. Now if you put zip cord on a Mac I'm going to make fun of you. Then when someone quotas them I'm going to laugh at them. I was just saying.I wasn't trying to be mean or any thing.

Larry

wkmc

Journeyman
larry....
absolutely NO! offence taken
i know i have an untrained ear(snuff-box)
but am sorta willing to try to learn(sometime)
probably like most of us :)

like i said at present the peavey is good

but arent we all looking for a little better?
sorta the american way(i guess)

if va was not so far, a coffee may would be good

speakerman1

Tagline
It isn't untrained you know what you like. I restored a house on Helena Island. Use to go Hemingways. My son got 3rd place in the SC science fair for his age group. You never where I may show up. Hilton Head is very nice.

Larry

wkmc

Journeyman
KOOL
but i keep promising my self that i am going to go to an audio store just to listen to something.............. E - X - P - E - N - $ - I - V - E ........... just to see what i am missing.
sorta scared i might hear something i like more
$-$-$-$-$-$-$-$-$-$- scares the pants off me(and NOBODY wants to see that)

see im just getting started into this thingy

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Would you by chance be an immigrant ?? Your reference to the peculiarities of the American language is not a unique comment from those who have moved to this country. If so, Welcome to America.

speakerman1

Tagline
Audio stores are fun. Take your own CD. Just go listen. Your going to hear alot of things you like. When the CD is over say good bye. You really want to upset them tell them yours is better.LOL

Larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
For a FIRST tube amp, I don't think you could beat an old Dynaco ST-70, or even a Fisher receiver...like a 400 or 500. There are lots of other tube receivers out there like Sherwood, Scott, Harman Kardon and tons more. I started out with a Fisher KX-200. If you have about $300.00 to spend you can get into one of the above....as for new, I would suggest the kits from VTA (Vacuum Tube Audio). They make a new and improved group of Dynaco amplifiers and preamplifiers..

speakerman1

Tagline
Been sitting here thinking. What power tubes do you want to run. EL-34, KT-88s, or 300Bs? Do you want an Int.or a pure amp? John bought his Chinese from Canada. US made you are going to pay some bucks. He bought 2 from me.One was messed up and I didn't know it. So he got my other one. I just sold one I had swapped all the tubes out and it sounded great.

Larry

Larry