Whats the best cd player out there?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Nice SACD unit Nando. That must have come out as Sony started pushing the format.

I have a busted Philips SACD -1000 unit similar to the Sony, the onboard ASIC has a nasty habit of overwriting its control store. It is a one way event, no bringing them back to life after that and no warranty or replacement parts, Philips stopped supporting it altogether.

Superlative build quality, like this Sony unit. Ratty electrical (or software) engineering however.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice SACD unit Nando. That must have come out as Sony started pushing the format.

I have a busted Philips SACD -1000 unit similar to the Sony, the onboard ASIC has a nasty habit of overwriting its control store. It is a one way event, no bringing them back to life after that and no warranty or replacement parts, Philips stopped supporting it altogether.

Superlative build quality, like this Sony unit. Ratty electrical (or software) engineering however.

It's unfortunate, but I think the Sony SCD-1 might have a lack of parts availability, too. It weighs in at 58 lbs.. The load time for this model is not going to impress you. I would like to hear it some time, however.

Nando.

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
There is a local high end audio store here called Audio Artisans. I can not really afford much in there, but I did buy some cables there. They carry Krell, Wilson speakers, Martin Logan, etc... and Wadia. Anyways Wadia Dacs look very nice. Anyone ever use Wadia?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
No, but I've heard of em. Cory, a high end store will usually let you take stuff home to audition it, in the case of that DAC they may want a deposit or such, but chat wth em a bit and see if you can patch it in, or take the CAL to the store and DAC it and check for adifference.,

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
...Anyone ever use Wadia?
i used a Wadia WT3200 transport for several years. it was very solid, played every cd that i threw at it without flaw, even disks that my other players choked on. as for sound it was possibly only slightly better than a Luxman mid-fi player and Kenwood DVD changer i had. the biggest impact on sound between these 3 players was the dac they were connected to.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I'm looking for a cd player that is the best. I currently have a California Audio Labs dx-1. Trying to find a good used Onyx. Any suggestions?
Look for a used Rotel; if you are patient you can obtain a solid Rotel inexpensively. Many models to choose from over the last 10 to 14 years. They perform really well and last.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I guess I am just old but I never heard a CD player that can outperform a dbx DX5. The SACD player's (from what I gather try to recapture the detail lost with added compression from conventional cds) and SACD recordings just have those transients and detail added. The dbx does all that and then some. Literally, using the DAIR boosts signal transients by 10db instantly allowing brass horns or kick drums to literally punch you in the face and it does it ultracleanly. I tell you, it will startle you, just ask my wife LMAO

It also boasts adjustable compression and ambience controls

I think the DX5 is the audiophiles true friend in every respect and the best CD player ever made regardless of how much money is spent.

I also figured why the PL400 was blowing fuses... the DAIR control... when your listening at moderate levels and suddenly have a 120db rimshot, the amp does not like it as you will instantly exceed the 3amps the fuses allow. It's ridiculous just how "live" and "warm" these decks are

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Should be 5 amp fuses, and that transient the PL should handle if it's not a super difficult load...

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Should be 5 amp fuses, and that transient the PL should handle if it's not a super difficult load...
Im no expert on PL's, but I was going to say, a 3 amp fuse seemed pretty small. Have you tried slow blow fuses as well? I use 10 amp slow blow fuses in the 1801's.....when they are in working order that is. :laughing9:

Northwinds

Tagline
EDIT: I went back and looked at the original fuse that blew. It was a 5A 250v not sure where I got the 3A from except maybe because I was thinking of the Vega's if they ever blew. I guess I will just take it easy until I get it back down to Jer for surgery and get 5A's into it today

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
LOL, I wasnt suggesting running a 10 amp. Simply stating what my amps run with.

Guitar watts are quite different than home stereo watts. I doubt the PL would keep up with a 100 watt head.

Northwinds

Tagline

Guitar watts are quite different than home stereo watts. I doubt the PL would keep up with a 100 watt head.
You run 10amp fuses at the outputs for your speakers??? What speakers made can handle that much signal? Most speaker fuses are only 3amp 250v. Or is that the power supply fuses? You never clarified where you used them. I have a big green rackmount Altec Lansing Model 1590B SS amp in the garage that I used to run a band PA with, it would crush the Marshall to cinders in volume output and it's only rated at 200w per channel IIRC. I used to run Voice of the Theaters with it. Had a few Crowns also that would slay a Marshall for output but I got tired of getting them fixed so the Altec amp was the ticket. At one time, I actually used the Altec as the power for my guitar rack system when I used to use a JMP-1 or an ADA MP1. I ran 4 Marshall cabs off it LOL

I even remember using a Carver cube to run a PA for smaller bars

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Ummmmm-----I don't.

How does a guitar watt differ from a home stereo watt? Only difference I see right off the top is that a guitar amp is mono and a home stereo amp is just that stereo so a 100 watt home stereo amp generally splits it's 100 watts to two channels.

I have always wonder how 1 watt differs in any way not matter how it's made. A watt is a watt

Northwinds

Tagline
You guys ever stand in front of a cranked 100w Marshall stack? I have for several decades and other amps like the Framus Dragon, Framus Cobra, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers, Marshall JMP and Majors. Never heard a home stereo amp able to match preceived output level of a highwatt tube head

Hell, even my 6L6GC loaded Peavey 6505 2x12 combo is louder then the WOPL 400 (I match max volume of the WOPL before fuses go and the Peavey is less then 4 on volume knob and not even breathing hard (tubes are just barely breaking up), SUBSTANTIALLY louder and it's only 60w. I think tube wattage is different from SS wattage from a listening perspective but in the end, your probably right

A watt is a watt is a watt. 8 Celestion 12" speakers make A LOT of noise so that could be all the difference though I am not sure why my combo is louder then the WOPL. Only thing is, I think a home amp has to work harder at amplifying frequencies over a bigger curve and that eats power

Not that I am complaining, I love the damn thing to death and can't wait to be able to afford to do the Rev D full comp to it

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You guys ever stand in front of a cranked 100w Marshall stack? I have for several decades and other amps like the Framus Dragon, Framus Cobra, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers, Marshall JMP and Majors. Never heard a home stereo amp able to match preceived output level of a highwatt tube head

Hell, even my 6L6GC loaded Peavey 6505 2x12 combo is louder then the WOPL 400 (I match max volume of the WOPL before fuses go and the Peavey is less then 4 on volume knob and not even breathing hard (tubes are just barely breaking up), SUBSTANTIALLY louder and it's only 60w. I think tube wattage is different from SS wattage from a listening perspective but in the end, your probably right

A watt is a watt is a watt. 8 Celestion 12" speakers make A LOT of noise so that could be all the difference though I am not sure why my combo is louder then the WOPL. Only thing is, I think a home amp has to work harder at amplifying frequencies over a bigger curve and that eats power

Not that I am complaining, I love the damn thing to death and can't wait to be able to afford to do the Rev 4 full comp to it
Tremendously efficient speakers is part of why you have that sense

Northwinds

Tagline
Tremendously efficient speakers is part of why you have that sense
The Cerwin Vega's I am running have a 98bd rating I believe. The Celestions are more efficient? Granted they are only 25w greenbacks or the G12-75s (75w each) in my cabs so it does make sense. The Peavey is loaded with 30w Celestions now, I pulled the Sheffields out that came in it