Whats the best cd player out there?

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm looking for a cd player that is the best. I currently have a California Audio Labs dx-1. Trying to find a good used Onyx. Any suggestions?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
How old is the dx-1?? A couple of he guys are pleasantly surprised by a very reasonable Oppo model. Search "Oppo" , there's a couple of threads on em.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'm looking for a cd player that is the best. I currently have a California Audio Labs dx-1. Trying to find a good used Onyx. Any suggestions?
The best in what price range?? There's CD players out there that cost 20,000.00

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Oppo 983 is pretty popular. No longer made, but available on the used market, they have a new audiophile flagship now that lists for 1195

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My DX 1 was made in June of 1996, I was watching a DX 2 on ebay that ended while I was at work. It went cheap too, f%$# work anyways.

Angel City Audio has an Onix CD10 for $390, but its a demo model, they are sold out of the CD15. I really only want to spend between $200- 5 or 600. I really like my dx1 but I would like a higher quality cd player to set up with the Phase Linear Gear that Lee is repairing for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
As always, I prefer WORKING as a favorite.

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
if you looking to play just cd's, i would go with a decent transport and the best DAC i could afford. if you want to go into SACD and DVD-A, an Oppo universal blu-ray is the only way to go imo.

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Can someone explain to me the benefits of a dac and a transport and what they do better than just using a cd player? Maybe there is a link to a thread somewhere explaining all of this? thank you.

cory.

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
in my experience with cd -vs- dac, the sound is more influenced by the dac than the transport. any player with digital out can be used as a transport, so you dont have to go looking for a dedicated transport, any decent player will do.

i havent bought a new dac in years so i'm not up to speed with current offerings, but from what i've read on the web the Schiit dac's look pretty good for the money.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Remember rule number 1.

Old digital is just old digital. Recommend you buy the latest, the advancements in DAC technology has been significant.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Cory, that's not a bad price for the CD10. I bought the last CD15 he had and it was also a demo model, don't let that scare you off.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The CD15 was 500.00 The only reason I donot use an outboard digital to analog converter is because I've never hooked it up. the Larrt sent me some Audio Alchemy DAC and Anti Jitters , just haven't got around to hooking them up. Like Scott (dingus) said, almost any decent CD player has an adequate transport, the daily miracles occur in the DAC, and the ADC. Your CAL probably has a good enough transport. Does it have a digital out jack?? There are some very good outboard dac's. Google Perpetual Tech, Audio Alchemy, , and maybe Joe will put his 2 centavos worth in.

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My dx1 does have a digital output. I'm confused on how it works though. So a dac would hook up to the digital output and this would improve the music how?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes your digital output would go to the outboard DAC. Newer digital to analog conmverters have a higher upsampling rate which amounts to a better sounding signal.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My dx1 does have a digital output. I'm confused on how it works though. So a dac would hook up to the digital output and this would improve the music how?
The DAC is where all the processing happens, the transport has little to do with the output quality as long as it can get bits off of the CD.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You are not ready to take the jump to SACD and DVD-A? There is a tremendous difference between the red book CD format and the newer higher density formats (like no need to artificially upsample and no brick wall filter at 20KHz). If you are looking to upgrade your digital playback, you should be considering this. You will get all the upsampling benefits on normal red book CDs to boot.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have heard positive comments about the top-tier Oppo players. My best friend, recently, upgraded to an Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray player, and raves about it.

Yesterday, I was at Innovative Audio to pay off the balance owing on my Pioneer SX-1980 receiver, and to drop off a few more stereo pieces to be sold on consignment. While there, Gordon showed a few of us early morning shoppers his recent acquisition he had purchased on his two-week tour of the U.S. western states, during Spring Break.

It's a Sony SCD-1 SACD player. Although, we didn't listen to it, yet, we were captivated by its size, heft, and build quality. This unit retailed for about $5K in the late 90's to early 2000's while in production. I, almost, want it!

Watch these:
http://s768.photobucket.com/user/vi...udio April 2013/M4H08789_zps7c1c24f6.mp4.html

http://s768.photobucket.com/user/vi...udio April 2013/M4H08790_zps64132942.mp4.html

More info here: http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/180

Nando.