Whats the best cd player out there?

Used to own a Major and the 4x12 bought new with it. Been in front of more guitar amps then I could name and run live sound with some huge systems.

Makes no difference at all

watts are watts....

The Cerwin Vega's I am running have a 98bd rating I believe. The Celestions are more efficient? Granted they are only 25w greenbacks or the G12-75s (75w each) in my cabs so it does make sense. The Peavey is loaded with 30w Celestions now, I pulled the Sheffields out that came in it

You are also moving a lot more air with 4 12" speakers vesus 1 12" speaker.

I should not be getting back into this silly argument....... next we'll hear (AGAIN, I might add) that tube watts and solid state watts are different.....

:banghead:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Cerwin Vega's I am running have a 98bd rating I believe. The Celestions are more efficient? Granted they are only 25w greenbacks or the G12-75s (75w each) in my cabs so it does make sense. The Peavey is loaded with 30w Celestions now, I pulled the Sheffields out that came in it
You can't cheat RMS watts Ron. RMS power represents the true heating power of any signal that is being output by the amp in question. Very few transformer coupled tube amps can match the RMS output power of direct coupled SS amps. AFAIK, all PA reinforcement systems used by major bands are SS for that reason. Most concerts I have attended have the instrument amps miked into the PA reinforcement.

Last edited:

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Hrrm. Seems I started a nice debate with that comment.

Can anyone explain why my 65watt peavey amp with a 12" woofer can carry along with an 800 watt power amp and 2 15" woofers in my 400watt speakers? Ive also used a Marshall JTM cab/head combo, and a 5150, both of those were way louder than my stereo, only much less watts?

When I saw Big Sugar many years ago, I spoke to his sound tech. He was running 2 bottoms with 4 heads... 2 on each cab, 100 watt heads... Cant even begin to explain how crushingly loud his guitar was.

I got no technical jargan to back up my earlier comment. Only my ears.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hrrm. Seems I started a nice debate with that comment.

Can anyone explain why my 65watt peavey amp with a 12" woofer can carry along with an 800 watt power amp and 2 15" woofers in my 400watt speakers? Ive also used a Marshall JTM cab/head combo, and a 5150, both of those were way louder than my stereo, only much less watts?

When I saw Big Sugar many years ago, I spoke to his sound tech. He was running 2 bottoms with 4 heads... 2 on each cab, 100 watt heads... Cant even begin to explain how crushingly loud his guitar was.

I got no technical jargan to back up my earlier comment. Only my ears.
Put your 800W amp in place of the Peavey 65W with the exact same source input and the exact same speakers on the output and run the same test.

You can't mix apples and oranges and expect to make much sense out of it.

The truth is the "watts" know if it's a home stereo or a guitar amp and make them selves L O U D E R ! :toothy10:

They do the same when they see it's a tube versus a solid state amp :tongue10:

(sorry, I could not help myself)

Put your 800W amp in place of the Peavey 65W with the exact same source input and the exact same speakers on the output and run the same test.

You can't mix apples and oranges and expect to make much sense out of it.

Are you suggesting that my DiMarzio Super II output may be different than my Accuphase C-200.............

:confused2:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
If a watt is a watt though, 65watts, no matter what, apples, oranges, prunes, should not be able to keep up with 800, no?

Using my amp/speakers as guitar amplification, with an effects board, was not comparable to a guitar amp.

Im lost in my own comment i guess, :laughing9:.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
It would seem tube amps have a "fuller" sound then which probably leads to the perception that our tube amps are louder then SS... not to mention when you clip a SS amp, your power max is reached while a tube amp will keep on going as it has (for lack of a better statement) more room for distortion

That's the whole point of owning a tube guitar head as tube breakup is where it's at to get that "tone"

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Its an Express 112. With the "transtube" design. I also have its bigger brother the Bandit.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I remember when they came out with the Transtube amps, not bad sounding. Regarding the Bandit, that amp is a budget legend. The one I had actually had a Black Widow in it, not the Scorpion commonly found in them

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Interesting. I would assume it was either an upgrade, or a replacement woof. Typically, I run both amps together, but the express, due to its age, is needing some work these days. I'm forced to just use the Bandit now.