What say you here?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I made a couple of posts in an AK thread about contact cleaner:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-cleaning-switches-and-potentiometers.781838/

One is below from earlier today after I saw some stuff in the store I was in looking for cheap casters. I got curious about what was actually in the stuff and posted what I read. I feel like I know people here well enough to trust their opinions so am curious as to what you guys think

<article>
"So this subject of contact cleaners interested me enough to see what, if any, brands were sold in stores I happened to be in. This afternoon I saw one made (in Canada) by Lloyd's Laboratories (since 1919) called Kleens-It. A 20oz spray can with straw is $7.99.

There are only two ingredients listed - tetrachloroethylene aka perchloroethylene aka PERC and carbon dioxide. The first component, I read, was described as a refrigerant and an organic solvent widely used in dry-cleaning. That sounds like it could be the successor to carbon-tetrachloride and was that not considered a desirable chemical for electrical contact cleaning? The label said it is compatible with most plastics except styrene.

I tried finding out what was in De-Oxit. It contains tetrafluoroethane (also considered a refrigerant) aka freon and mineral oil. According to Wikipedia, tetrafluoroethane is "about to be considered" as an organic solvent.

I'm obviously not a chemist but since both these products contain a similar (by intended purpose) main ingredient, would that not make De-Oxit at over $20 for a couple of ounces a bit of a rip off if the only other additive was mineral oil?"

</article>

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Theory sounds right. De-Oxit is tried and true, never failed. You're paying $20? Last can I bought at Guitar City was $8.99...

62vauxhall

Tagline
Theory sounds right. De-Oxit is tried and true, never failed. You're paying $20? Last can I bought at Guitar City was $8.99...
Over $20 actually. I bought my last can last year for $21 but that store closed down. Even back then, I saw it elsewhere for $23 ~ $24. The big guitar chain around here was even more expensive.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Ouch is right.

Last year two 10 band per channel EQ's pretty much killed a can of it and the EQ's were no better off afterwards.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I'm not a chemist either but, I've played one on TV and in my head for the last several decades. Something is not jelling here, something else must be in the mix or it is a reaction of the compounds that make De-Oxit better than the rest out there. I swear by it, the stuff works.

One thing I've hated about SAE's parametric EQ's is those F'n sliders, hell, any sliders with a few inches of reach is just beggin' for issues!!

An aside to older Marantz gear lovers...DO NOT use it on them, it will destroy the delicate plastic surrounds of the control.

I also think it's insane that our great friends to the North have to pay a premium for products that we in the USA get. This needs addressing :evil:

Don't get me started about AK! Is that asswipe Dave still in charge?? Bunch of Elitest know nothings (not you Nando :love4:)

Last edited: