what are you listening to?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Sugar Cube-ing some new Shpongle...

20211007_143954 - Copy.jpg 20211007_143718 - Copy.jpg 20211007_143739 - Copy.jpg

Bonus disk has live material from 2014 - Red Rocks Amp ... and a single live track from London 2013

This pressing is pretty clicky without the 'Cube'. Not super high-quality like the 'Are You...?' book-set

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
How did the Red Rocks stuff sound?
Sounds a little flat spatially and sort of set back ... but very cool to have a live recording from Red Rocks of all places.

I guess it sort of mimics being seated somewhere back near Row 50. That's the best way I can describe it ... like being further back and definitely above stage level. Sound stage kind of leans compressed to center. "Leans" being the key operative word. Nowhere near a full, punch you in the face & ears type Shpongle studio production.

Still an excellent recording nonetheless...

Hadn't spun the London live recording til just now. More forward. Bigger punch. Definitely more exciting!

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, then something was lost in the mix. The sound board guy had his shit together that night, took him about 20 minutes to dial it in on the sub card group. Then it was impressive..

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Well, then something was lost in the mix. The sound board guy had his shit together that night, took him about 20 minutes to dial it in on the sub card group. Then it was impressive..
You'll have to hear them for yourself. Once I get to hooking up the 'puter and ripping those two sides - I'll make em available to you in FLAC files. The Red Rocks tracks aren't bad by any stretch, just not as punchy as the London one from the year prior.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah, we have the Red Rocks DVD of that night, I wasn't impressed either. Thought maybe the mixdown might have been different for just the audio.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
20211014_084439 - Copy.jpg

Good test case disc for 'the Cube'. This album is rather low-output. Plays clean now but the Sweet Vinyl SVNR 'plus' function does little to mitigate background & low frequency groove noise. Honestly, I can't find any instance where SVNR does much of anything other than shifting the dynamic range to the point that I have to boost up my Pro-Ject phono amp gain - a click or two.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I saw Robin at a (large) club here in CT back in the 90's I think it was... Had the fluorescent green t-shirt for years after too, but no idea where that is now!

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I saw Robin at a (large) club here in CT back in the 90's I think it was... Had the fluorescent green t-shirt for years after too, but no idea where that is now!
Seen him a bunch of times at local, hole-the-wall joints during those years too. Really enjoyed it when Davey Pattison of Gamma started doing vocals. Perfect fit.