what are you listening to?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Warming up the Nak with a Metal Master mix from 1994 that's primarily stuff from U2 & Depeche Mode...

1578711510002.png 1578711580001.png 1578711613290.png

before I start a serious binge session of Rush.

... and The Logans are pretty much broken in now. Well worth the wait !

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Rolling through my own version of Rush Archives on a Metal Master 90 for breakfast ... no butter but lots of jam :cool:

1578760713329.png

Starts with 'YYZ' and goes backwards in time across all the earlier albums ... ending with 'Working Man'.

20200111.jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
The coveted Sony MM cassette. I didn't remember you having a Nakamichi BX-300 deck, Tony.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Picked that up in Cali, several years back. I still record all my 'masters' on the Sony but do more & more playback of my library through the 300. The playback character is pretty magical. And without a doubt, pre-recorded tapes sound WAY better on the Nak.

The Sony 870 has more bottom-end on playback of my MM's - and still sounds great - but that Nak EQ thing does a number on the mids & treble that I (lately) find appealing. Hard to describe it entirely, to be quite honest.

Plus, spreading around playback duties keeps all the 'children' happy ,,,

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/audio-precision-ats-discussions.8713/page-4#post-235763

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Sitting here and the Tennessee Titans just scored another touchdown, 14-0 against Baltimore.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Mix tape completed and playing it back through my stereo 2X to ensure it passes mustard.

20200111_135304.jpg

And a little beverage during the listening session.

20200110_153603.jpg

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Kansas City has scored but it's under review as to whether Mahomes passed the line of scrimmage. If it stands KC just took the lead before halftime.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Seems like it was just yesterday with this mix,
Listening for the very first time on the Nak ...

Sonic Interlude.jpg

With my new Sound Forge Pro tools, I'll be going back in the coming weeks and doing some EQ boosting on a few of the tracks lacking in bass presence.
Should make a world of difference ...

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Is the lack of bass from being recorded on cassette or the source?
It's the source material. The problem with mix tapes is that you can get all these dissimilar recordings - from different periods of time and mix boards - that simply sound varied in EQ, and when you play them back on revealing systems - you can hear the big differences in the overall spectra across the different period tracks.
You can't just focus on recording level alone when dubbing to tape, matching EQ is just as important and purely (record) level matching doesn't tackle differences in the bottom end punch or the rest for that matter. Old school was to record through a tape-looped equalizer as you made the transfer. Never enjoyed doing that unless it was an entire recording - think of rough, live bootlegs - where it was pretty much 'set it and forget it' for the entire session.

On this particular deal 6 years ago, I spent more time getting rid of digital harness on tracks from MP3 sources and normalizing overall volume levels, not so much tweaking particular bass or mid-range freq ranges. With the newer software, stuff like this is more 'canned' and makes a world of difference with very little effort.

Last edited: