what are you listening to?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Morton Subontnick - AXOLOTL & The Wild Beasts
(1981, Nonesuch/Elektra Asylum)

bleeps and bloops to accompany lunch.
They let him come back after Silver Apples Of The Moon? OMG I could almost stand Don Imus.

They would always tell me to stop dinking around with the Magic Genie anyway.

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Bobby Whitlock - selftitled
(1972, ABC Dunhill)

Southern roots rock from the Memphis native who started out playing at Stax with Donald Dunn and Steve Cropper. with George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Delaney Bramlett, Bonnie Bramlett, Klaus Voorman, Whitlock played in Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominoes, and played on Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Australian Crawl - The Final Wave (1986) Vinyl Re-Issue to brand new 80's vintage TDK D60 - Nakamichi BX-300 Deck

orange

Tagline
Friday, July 14...the event I waited over 38 years for happened.

Opened by John Doe and Exene Cervenka of X.

There weren't supposed to be cameras but they didn't stop the cellphones of course, wish I could have borrowed Mom's but like all the concerts I've ever been to, only memories for me, maybe I can find some stuff on You Tube or the Idaho Statesman site.

A short but great set, no backup, John Doe with an acoustic guitar...they thanked us and the other two bands for being gracious enough to bring them along and everyone really enjoyed them. That one I waited since around 1982-3 for.

You could tell when the sets where about to begin because the music selections on the PA would get more famous/obvious. When the rockabilly/Hank Sr. gave way to an Elvis song and then Midnight Cowboy, that was time for X.

I stayed up in a corner at the top of the amphitheater bowl (general admission) where I could dance a bit, and I made some friends who were very impressed by my jigging and primal stuff and I got extra Gatorade for that. I would wander down the slope and back up occasionally to get to the fence by the stage and shout my thanks and encouragement to Shirley Manson. She was worried that the heat would get to her but for a woman about my age and tiny as she is, the one time lying down was feigned and during I Would Die For You...I waited since the early 90s since the first time I heard The Queerest Of The Queer.

Okay, two of three awesome sets done. One more and I could die now, I've had such a wonderful time and it was worth it.

BLONDIE!

Surprise, there WAS a set of three video screens behind the stage and they started to show what looked at first like old TV snow and then it took on the semblance of a swarm of bees and some lines on the screen that resembled switching noise and finally the logo of the Pollinator album currently out (a bee). Eventually some really cool semi-randomized simulations of bits of black and white surveillance footage with words and menus (STEREO and a menu with Valium and some options, switched about rapidly, and other conceptual footage) and the visuals were extremely fresh looking.

Debby had chin-length platinum blonde/white hair in a round style, big sunglasses and for a while a black cape that said Stop Fucking With The Planet, a yellow and black striped dual horned hat and she wore a yellow outfit with black trim the whole show.

Her voice is not all it used to be but it was pretty damned sweet for a 72 year old rock and roller.

The band was all you could want, with a new guitarist, Chris, a new keyboard player, Debby and of course, CLEM BURKE on drums. Clem is the reason I got hooked on Blondie. He is just massive on drums.

They played new songs and a lot of the old hits...then they stepped off the stage for the obligatory tease and played the last two songs.

The last song was the very song that hooked me on Blondie...DREAMING. THANK YOU, CLEM, I am forever grateful.

Getting home had a few snags as I was supposed to meet my sister at a gas station down the road a block or two but it's confusing finding stuff until you get your bearings and it's been a few years since my last show there. Finally with some help from the office staff calling mom and the police guiding my sister she found me and grumbled a bit but like I said I really could get my bearings until I found the end of the road into the parking area.

I got a big diet pop and got home about an hour ago after leaving town just after four something. Seven hours...

All three bands thanked us profusely for braving the heat and said they didn't know why they had never come there in all those years. Debby said she'd love to come back, that would be great but now I can die and I would have had one of the biggest dreams of my life fulfilled times three.

Those kids working at the concert venue have the best job in the world, although it's kinda distracting when they are there to help or take care of freaks...one of them told me she had another job and was raising children as well and agreed with me when I said so you get two hours of sleep but wake up pretty happy, don't you?

All three of these bands are from a day when there was a real recording industry, run by A&R teams and company owners and with writers and producers that worked hard to make their artists what they could be.

X is celebrating their 40th anniversary year and Elektra/Asylum was their label.

Blondie went from Private Stock Records to Chrysalis and had the powerhouse duo of Chinn and Chapman behind them originally.

Garbage was signed by the greatest musician/executive ever in the music industry, Herb Alpert in his followup company after selling A&M Records, Almo Sounds. Their video for Special is still one of my favorites.

[video=youtube;raRGnueg8Lo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raRGnueg8Lo[/video]​

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
[video=youtube;icKNtjhAW8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKNtjhAW8I[/video]

Written by Johnny Marr (formerly of The Smiths)​

orange

Tagline
[video=youtube;KVGL37IZhjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGL37IZhjs[/video]

From January, I found a You Tube live stream from last night and then external link to it but I couldn't verify it would be safe and skipped it.​

orange

Tagline
Hope this gave you a real appreciation of the show I saw and maybe the wish to see them for yourself. This complete combination of post-punk, punk into pop and 90s alt-rock is one that will absolutely thrill you!

orange

Tagline
PS I am so hoarse and screwed up from a night of whooping, screaming, singing...I'm not sure when my voice will recover from being a bucket of sludge!:love4:

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Florence & The Machine - Lungs - Vinyl to Cassette, Maxell XL2 Chrome Tape, No Dolby, Peaks of +3. Nakamichi BX-300 Dual Capstan, Discrete Crystal Alloy head deck. Excellent Pressing. What a Voice!