what are you listening to?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly but somewhere I read that Amazon themselves got a huge shipment of the fakes from the UK and had to refund a bunch of people. Best Buy has the real ones from Japan. I would not buy one of these without looking at them in hand
Yeah, it sucks that this sh!t happens. Then again, there's also a crowd that dig having a fake, conversation piece to brag about.
Me? I would have been thoroughly pissed. I sort of remember hearing allegations that Amazon was potentially shipping out bad ones,
but I don't recall it ever being substantiated. There were issues with Amazon getting proper refunds back to customers holding fakes
because, at the time, they rolled so much responsibility back to fly-by-night merchants that were impossible to get a hold of or deal
with after the fact. As a side note, I avoid Amazon selling partners because they can be a lot worse than eBoy merchants, and it seems
like anybody and their skitzo mother can create an account. There merchant seller rating systems blows chunks !

Another sign things were amiss was that many of these counterfeits were like seventy, eighty bucks, which should have sounded too good to be true.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
You can never have too much info. As long as this stuff mentioned helps other members from being duped, I am happy. I am holding out for a mono vinyl boxset and that is it

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
The Beatles Mono sounds great, a different flavor indeed, and I like it =). Sometimes the Split instruments from left to right get frustrating, which one was meant to be, mono or stereo? artist intention? or the fat cats mixing it?. Who knows. Who cares, just listen and enjoy!

Nice review Blaze, good reading there.
+1

very entertaining nerdy clip of Michael Fremer opening the Mono Box...

[video=youtube;5EyMRllV2wI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EyMRllV2wI[/video]

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Joseph Byrd - A Christmas Yet To Come
(1975, Takoma)

Christmas sounds on the ARP synthesizer from the United States Of America / field hippie guy. Recycled picture.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Michael Jackson - Thriller - Vinyl

Signal Path: Thorens TD 160 Super / AT440MLa Cartridge to PC in 24-bit/96khz raw format ---> Very Light Click/Pop filter applied ----> Recording onto Denon DR-M4 - TDK SA90 tape, No dolby, Peaks at +3db.

I'm very impressed with this deck, the hi hat on 'wanna be startin' somethin' used to have horrible sibilance when recording on the JVC, I had to use dolby C to fix that. But the Denon DR-M4 doesn't need any dolby for this task. I also notice it has higher frequency response than the JVC (23,000hz compared to 21,000hz) with metal tape. Sounding sweet with this chrome tape.

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Alice Cooper - Pretties For You
(1969, Straight) '73 release w/ the Burbank palm trees label, gatefold cover; -1C/-1B

too bad the sound quality was not great for this title, it's interesting music. Reflected was repurposed as Elected on Billion Dollars Babies.

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti - TDK SD90 (Chrome) - Vinyl Sourced from the Thorens - Recorded in JVC TD-V661 Played back in Nakamichi BX-1

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Charlie Byrd - Christmas Carols For Solo Guitar
(1967, Columbia) XSM -1B/-1B

recycled picture from 4 years ago. Cover painting: Detail from The Virgin of the Annunciation by Gerard David (d. 1523)

derek92994

Tagline
Making a Dire Straits Mix tape - Sourced from Flac files - BASF Chrome Extra II Cassette (not new) - Denon DR-M4 Deck - Peaks set at 0db, Dolby B. I will post the track list in 'Your Latest Mix' thread once its completed.

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Lou Reed - New York
(1989, Sire) MASTERDISK in the deadwax, mastered by Robert Ludwig at Masterdisk

one of many favorites from Lou Reed. A grown-up voice like few others - I hear new stuff on every listen. Lost him just over a year ago, sad loss.