Weller WSD 81 and compatible irons

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
If you take care of it, it will last many years. My Wsp80 gave me trouble so I pulled out the back up WSP 80 last night. Looks like the heater has a bad connection. It would jump around from 600-999 degrees and not even melt solder. I'll rebuild it down the road.... I think I got 4 years out of it........ All the twisting and trying to light cigars with it..... :)

TravK

New Around These Parts
Thanks for all the input guys. Got some cash back for the wrong iron on this deal, and plowed that back into an ebay WP80 from China, sub $50 price tag. I'll post again with initial impressions once it crosses the ocean.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Initial impressions of a Chineeze Knock Off??? Oh, I can hardly wait. Many of us do not recommend the Chineeze shit. It won't last, and MAY not even work. It aint worth it, trying to save a few buck ends up costing you twice as much. Not a smart move.

TravK

New Around These Parts
I considered the Israeli knockoff, too. ;-) Or maybe it was the Chinese knockoff shipped from Israel? Never claimed to not be penny-wise and pound-foolish, for sure, chalking this up to experimentation...believe me, I get that there's a good chance I've been sold a bill of goods, but, like I said, I'll report back, don't want to let you fellas down.

TravK

New Around These Parts
Ain't intending to bounce anytime soon, too much good intel on this forum. I appreciate Perry calling it like he sees it, for sure. Got visions of maybe this thread being a handy PSA for other folks: hard-edged WOPL vet warns inexperienced amp rebuilder about cutting corners, etc. You guys are fun.

TravK

New Around These Parts
My China-company sourced wsp 80 arrived on Friday...initial impression? Hey, it didnt blow up in my face! Mated well with the WSD 81 base, responded well to temperature adjustments. Will report further when I get around to doing some actual soldering and temp measurement, but step one, thumbs up.