Weller WSD 81 and compatible irons

TravK

New Around These Parts
Hi folks -

Question for the Weller users here...

Recently picked up an as-is Weller WSD81 soldering station for a good price, and it appeared to be an even better deal with soldering pen/iron and stand included. That said, the pen included reads "For Use With WES51 / WESD51" (no model number included, but I assume that would make the pen most likely a PES51?). From what I can tell (see attached literature), the only real mfg-approved options for use with the WSD81 are the WPS 80 or WP 80, correct? For what's it's worth, the presumed-PES51 definitely locks into the WSD81 just fine...and then proceeds to glow bright orange at even the lowest set-point (150 F). :) Also, while the WSD81 appears to be in good working order, immediately after adjusting the temperature, the LCD display always reverts back to displaying "043"...is this perhaps some sort of error code, telling me "hey dumbass, unplug the wrong tool, please"? Been hunting for a service manual or a different version of user manual, but so far to little success.

Thanks!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My German is a little rusty.

My WES 51 says use PES51 tool ONLY....

TravK

New Around These Parts
Yeah, I figured that was the "no shit" conclusion, Perry. :) Like I said, assuming the pen is the issue, not the WSD station itself...but hoping maybe on some further confirmation before I throw some money at a WP 80.

TravK

New Around These Parts
Thanks, Lee. Actually most of the attached document is in English, but I had the same "I aint reading this" thought when I opened it. Didn't take any meter readings yet, no, the orange-glow sesssion was about 10pm last night with a beer nearby, initial plug in and checkout after getting kids to bed.

Perry, thanks for that link, will check it out and dig further into this. Pretty much of the same mind that the pen is the wrong one here (I'm a believer in RTM read-the-manual), just suprised to see that glow at lowest setting on what I gotta assume are pretty similar technology (I.e. PES51 vs WP 80).

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If ya need, I can take a power reading on my base to see if that would help...

TravK

New Around These Parts
Lee, if it aint too much trouble, i'd take you up on your offer, zero rush of course...i'm more of a lurker here than anything, so hate to bother anybody much. Bought the WSD81 in anticipation of a PL 700 II backplane rebuild that, at my current rate, i'll probably get to after covid stuff is completely dead and buried. Hard to justify doing too much audio work inside during the summer months in the pacific northwest...only get so much decent weather to work with. Case in point, posting here on my pocket computer while digging a ditch, so y'all need to stop responding so I can get some work done. ;-)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
0 0 0
0 0

With the pen removed and leads in the bottom two holes I get 4.633 volt, no other reading was obtained in any other combination ......ok not ANY reading, but insignificant for what we are talking about....voltage did not vary with adjustment as the feedback loop in the pen wasn't in circuit, so the 4.6 is base voltage??

TravK

New Around These Parts
Lee, between the bottom center hole and the bottom right hole (facing the wsd81 base unit)(7-hole socket, one center hole, ringed by six equidistant holes), I get a fairly consistent 0.5 VAC reading, at 150F, 425F, and at 850F (same-ish-number, obviously different magnitude). Between other holes, all sorts of different readings, ranging from nada to definitely not insignificant (up to 7 VAC). Blah. Maybe it's my HD Commercial Electric meter. :) Back to my ditch, I'll keep digging, literally and metaphorically.

TravK

New Around These Parts
For sure, I appreciate you taking the time. I'll keep you two posted and will look for a good deal on the the 80 watt pen.

TravK

New Around These Parts
Perry, thanks again for the reset info, followed the instructions, got the "FSE" readout on my WSD 81's LCD, but I'm still getting the same orange glow from the (admittedly incorrect) PES51 pen at 150F set point. For what it's worth, my cheap meter came with a temp sensor (type k thermocouple)...i measured approx 300F a fraction of inch from the tip and about twice that when in direct contact...again, that's with WSD 81 at 150F set point.

Also...voltages look good, 120Vac into WSD81 tranny primary, 24VAC out on the secondary...worst case scenario, looks like I can source a new control board pretty cheap (ebay), bur I'm thinking this is mostly just a incorrect-iron-for-the-base issue. At this point, seeing if I can get some $ out of the seller for the wrong iron, and wondering if the approx $50 price point for WSP/WP 80 pens I'm seeing on (again) ebay are fools gold or legit.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I paid much more for my 80 watt pencils but I bought a complete tip set with each one (Cha-Ching), and an extra heater element since my irons run 12 hours a day OR MORE. I have an iron which is acting up but I got 4 years out of it (2+ years on just the tip, always tin it when idle)....... I'm about ready to retire it.

TravK

New Around These Parts
I am definitely nowhere near the soldering warrior you are, Perry...so I figure I'll place an order for one of those Weller WSP 80 irons that may or not be the real deal, will report back, my hope it that it will last me for most of the soldering work I intend to do for a good long while...if not, add it to the list of my penny-wise, pound foolish decisions and maybe someday I'll learn. :) Was able to to get some $ back from the WSD81 seller for the wrong iron, so figure I aint out much.