Weller WE1010 or Hakko?

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Looking at the Weller WE1010NA soldering station. Anyone here using this station here? Any pros or cons that I need to be aware of? TiA.
What is the most common tip I need to use doing PCB work?

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Not using the Weller station however they are much like Fluke and build an awesome product. Using the Hakko FX 888d and have to say it is a great station. I can say it is one of my favorite tools and a best buy for the money. Parts can be obtained directly thru Hakko USA as well. https://www.hakkousa.com/
No affiliation.

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks. Weller is great stuff, I use a Weller WLC100 that I've had for 16 years. Going to pass that on to my son when I get a new station. I watched a vid comparing the Weller WE1010NA to the Hakko FX888D. They're both plenty capable for anything I'm doing. Is your 888 120V? What's your most common tip for working on PCBs?

Weller user for many years. Never had anything go wrong with them. Now switched to Ersa because of a screaming deal from Amazon. But I wouldn't hesitate getting a Weller when the opportunity presented itself.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I have the Weller. I used an old Heathkit GH17A for 42 years, the Weller works perfectly. Use the small chisel tip- gets into tight spaces easily.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
3 wellers here...... built hundreds of boards, use them daily. Can't go wrong. I've been using the same tip for about 2 years. Clean them, and tin them before shutting down....

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Thanks. Weller is great stuff, I use a Weller WLC100 that I've had for 16 years. Going to pass that on to my son when I get a new station. I watched a vid comparing the Weller WE1010NA to the Hakko FX888D. They're both plenty capable for anything I'm doing. Is your 888 120V? What's your most common tip for working on PCBs?
It is 120v as far as tips it came with a bunch of them. I cannot say exactly what one I am using right now as I am not at the shop but there are surly enough for you to pick the one you like. As said above, cleaning and tinning the tip has saved mine for at least a year. The Haako cannot beat the quality of the Weller however if you want to save some $ the thing cannot be beat.

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
It is 120v as far as tips it came with a bunch of them. I cannot say exactly what one I am using right now as I am not at the shop but there are surly enough for you to pick the one you like. As said above, cleaning and tinning the tip has saved mine for at least a year. The Haako cannot beat the quality of the Weller however if you want to save some $ the thing cannot be beat.
Right now Weller is $89(free shipping) with the small chisel tip included.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
That looks like a great price from Tequipment. I have a Weller that uses the ET series of tips and have the ETA tip in the iron most of the time. I have an ETC for a large tip to put more heat on huge joints or connections that have a enough metal to be a serious sink.

I was soldering something the other day that was a sink and used my Weller gun and the solder station with the ETA. It seemed like the ETA was delivering the heat better. Maybe the tip on the gun was not clean at the connection to the gun but it gave me a new respect for the heat the 1201 handle can deliver. I like the smaller handle it seems the 1010na has, too.

I like the look of the Weller with the IEC removable cord. everyone has a few of these laying around and one can select the right length to have the station where you need it.

My brother bought the Hakko but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. They are good, too. But it seems the group is saying the Weller is a nice one.

Looking for a follow-up report after you get one.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I use a pair of the WD models since they use the 80 watt hand-pieces. I needed the extra power but I build stuff daily and need the extra umph.......

WD.jpg

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
That looks like a great price from Tequipment. I have a Weller that uses the ET series of tips and have the ETA tip in the iron most of the time. I have an ETC for a large tip to put more heat on huge joints or connections that have a enough metal to be a serious sink.

I was soldering something the other day that was a sink and used my Weller gun and the solder station with the ETA. It seemed like the ETA was delivering the heat better. Maybe the tip on the gun was not clean at the connection to the gun but it gave me a new respect for the heat the 1201 handle can deliver. I like the smaller handle it seems the 1010na has, too.

I like the look of the Weller with the IEC removable cord. everyone has a few of these laying around and one can select the right length to have the station where you need it.

My brother bought the Hakko but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. They are good, too. But it seems the group is saying the Weller is a nice one.

Looking for a follow-up report after you get one.
Cool. Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going for the Weller. I have three chisel point(they seem to call them screwdriver point) tips coming with it, the ETA that comes with it, then the ETC which is 1/8", and the ETB which is 3/32" I bought extra. Do I want any conical, knife, or flat tips to go with it while I'm grabbing tips?
Where ?? 89.00 would put me solidly in Weller territory.
TEquipment has them for $35 off right now, bringing total price to $89 shipped. I am going with the Weller. Thanks bud.

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have those tips but never use them. Buy several sizes of the chisel tips
Ok, cool. Thanks.
I should have said, the ETA tip is 1/16". So I'll have 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8" tips for it. My present Weller has a 1/8" chisel that I've used for 16 years.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I use a pair of the WD models since they use the 80 watt hand-pieces. I needed the extra power but I build stuff daily and need the extra umph.......

View attachment 36916
+1 for the 80W irons, the WSP80 pencils. They have the wattage to handle the bigger jobs.

For normal production board soldering, my go to is Metcal.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I love the programmable settings on the WD's...... The first setback is 300 degrees for idle, then to 600, and top is 800, but they can be set to whatever your preference is. I keep a spare heater element and a spare hand piece. I can't get caught with my pants down but I do have my old weller JUST in case.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I have three chisel point(they seem to call them screwdriver point) tips coming
Sometimes he chisel tip is flat on one side the screwdriver tips are flat on both sides. They also has Flat One Side tips. Doesn't seem to make sense their naming.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just getting used to the new WE1010, so far I like it. I haven't been doing much PCB work lately, was still motorcycle time. Now that the weather has turned shitty, I have a ton of stuff backed up to work on, namely a PL700 Series Two I just picked up. Looks like I have some testing to do on it first. Has all new outputs, a new WOA PL14-20 Rev. E control board, and Watts Abundant DC protection board in it already. Guy has a video of it playing, sounding good. Now, not so much. Distortion, and one bank of outputs get toasty at idle. Offset is right under zero on both channels. Dunno.