Well, I finally did it...WOPL

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Looks really good there! Only one thing - on the DC protect I see those white wirewounds for the Z networks. If you still have the two 10 ohm pairs that were in there, suggest you put those back in place of the WW's.

Here's a pic from a 700 I did awhile back showing them... tie them in parallel then stand one side up, other side you may need to extend the lead a lil..

View attachment 11757
Zach, that was my fault on the standup resistors. I was so happy with the space savings I missed that it was a wirewound resistor. I now use 2 X 2.7 ohm resistors in series. I used 5 watts for a while but they were to tall. If you want, i'll send you 4 of 2 watt 2.7 ohm

Jbeckva The boards come in sheets of 10. They are scored so they can be broken apart. I should have broke off the trash piece on the front edge of the DC board. What cap did you use on the zobel? did it fit?

Last edited:

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Put the White Oak driver board in my 700B...er...WOPL 1000. :)

I am very pleased.

Better bass definition and extension.
More detail
WAY less noise. No hum, whatsoever, and I can barely hear anything with the volume knob maxed out and no source playing with my ear pressed against the speaker.

It's amazing what all that headroom does for dynamics and clarity at even moderate levels. You often her people say that most solid state amps sound pretty much the same when used within their limits. I think there is some truth to this. But, I also believe that most folks grossly overestimate what is "within their limits." There is a very noticeable difference going from a PL300 II to the WOPL, and the 300 ain't exactly crap.

Right now, it's just hooked up to some DIY 6.5" MTM towers in the kitchen. Might be a while before it gets moved to the line arrays, due to logistical issues.

Good stuff.

View attachment 11755 View attachment 11756
What main caps did you put in. They look like the ADCOMs I tried. They lasted a couple days and then vented all over the place

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Zach, that was my fault on the standup resistors. I was so happy with the space savings I missed that it was a wirewound resistor. I now use 2 X 2.7 ohm resistors in series. I used 5 watts for a while but they were to tall. If you want, i'll send you 4 of 2 watt 2.7 ohm

Jbeckva The boards come in sheets of 10. They are scored so they can be broken apart. I should have broke off the trash piece on the front edge of the DC board. What cap did you use on the zobel? did it fit?
Hi Don.

If I recall, I reused the caps that came with the amp - Had to do a little wrangling on the leads, but overall it was pretty easy to get them in.

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Zach, Joe linked us to a PWM variable speed setup quite awhile ago. I've found If I need fans, I ain't gonna hear them F*&^%$# anyway....
Thanks

I'll see if I can find it.

I totally understand what you mean, but I'd like to set and forget.

I'm not the only one who uses this system, and the little lady might forget.

That girl likes to jam, so there's a real risk of overheating.

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks for the offer.

I've still got my original zobel, so I'll take a look at it first.

If things look hinky- corrosion, heat, short leads or whatever, I may still take you up on it.

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
What main caps did you put in. They look like the ADCOMs I tried. They lasted a couple days and then vented all over the place
That's worrisome.

Those are the Adcoms that Apex Jr. had a while back.

I have run the amp with the old driver board for about a month before switching to the WO board.

I would think they'd have gone be now if they were gonna, but...don't want to clean that up!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
That's worrisome.

Those are the Adcoms that Apex Jr. had a while back.

I have run the amp with the old driver board for about a month before switching to the WO board.

I would think they'd have gone be now if they were gonna, but...don't want to clean that up!
You might be ok ... what's the rail voltage readings? Also.. I'd adjust the bias for around 380 to 390... recheck it in a couple of days as the components get time to burn in and settle..

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You might be ok ... what's the rail voltage readings? Also.. I'd adjust the bias for around 380 to 390... recheck it in a couple of days as the components get time to burn in and settle..
It's been a bit since I looked, but if memory serves, it's just below 100V per rail.

I'm going to back it off. Has to help with heat, and with 4r speakers, I'm already asking for heat trouble.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Is that a fan sitting on top of the amp?

Yep, and it's on high. Problem solved until I can get some of Lee's fans someday LOL. You can actually feel the heat getting blown out of it when you start getting up there. Where the needles are right there, it is absolutely deafening but crystal clear. Each little nudge just gets better

EDIT: Since the dog will not leave my side, out of respect for her hearing because she is already shivering, I am not putting it deep into the red zone

Northwinds

Tagline
I love it! LOL.

DIY at it's finest.

Are you from Kentucky originally?

(Hey, we Hoosier's gotta make fun of somebody)

Thanks Zach! I was thinking more of an immediate solution that will do the job completely. Though I will doubt it will ever fall into fashion, I can't think of a better solution. It's a standard plastic light metal chassis, 3-speed box fan and it covers the whole amp nicely. I just wondered if flipping it so it sucked air up would be better? Lee said forced air and this is forced air Yankee style LMAO

I was down in Columbia, KY for a few months. Loved the country, sucked that it was a dry County but that was just a hop in the car away from the local bootlegger $1 can ice cold bud but hated the nickel sized ticks

Last edited:

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I was down in Columbia, KY for a few months. Loved the country, scked that it was a dry County but that was just a hop in the car away from the local bootlegger $1 can ice cold bud but hated the nickle sized ticks
Yeah, KY is funny like that. There's a town right over the county line from Harrisburg Il called muddy.

Harrisburg was dry, but muddy is wet.

Gotta love that sense of humor.

The ticks around here will carry you away if you get into the wrong patch. I once had, literally thousands on my lower legs after a trip scouting out a new climbing area in Southern IL. It was unbelievable. They were very small, and coated my legs.

Northwinds

Tagline
Yeah, KY is funny like that. There's a town right over the county line from Harrisburg Il called muddy.

Harrisburg was dry, but muddy is wet.

Gotta love that sense of humor.

The ticks around here will carry you away if you get into the wrong patch. I once had, literally thousands on my lower legs after a trip scouting out a new climbing area in Southern IL. It was unbelievable. They were very small, and coated my legs.

aarrgggghhhh I would have flipped. I remember the fire ants down in Louisiana well enough LOL

Columbia is not too far from Big Bone Lick State Park, it's in really hilly country like West Viginia. I was rolling in the car when we went by that exit and saw that sign for the first time. That was a ride from hell. I took a friend down to get his old lady that ran away from him and it ended up dragging out and I literally, I almost got sucked into staying there by the most incredible mouth in Kentucky. That was like chicks' hobby back then. Man.... :evil4:

If you wanted weed, you drove out to this abandoned farm called locally "The Rebel Flag". A dude was out in the woods on a dirtbike with binoculars and if he recognized you he would come out. There was someone always there but the farmhouse was never used, it look abandoned

If you wanted beer, you would literally drivedown to the town square to a trailer that had a drivethough like you see the old banks in the 70s. Just rolled up and said how many and you got them handed back in brown paper bags $1 a can. This was right under the cops nose's and the cops were there after their shift to pick up some cold ones after a long days work themselves... hilarious like Dukes of Hazzard type town

People were broke down there, no jobs. Everybody was growing tobacco in their yards/property. I could have bought a huge farmhouse with several large out buildings on 160 acres of land for around $30,000 back then, not like I could afford it as I only wen down there with $500 in my pocket, all I had (and a bag of weed). Crazy 80s LMAO

What they called crack was actually crystal meth. I asking someone for $20 worth thinking I would get at least a half gram. Instead I got a solid two finger bag of crystal boulders. We did not know what to do with it because of the mere thought of shooting something in our arms was repulsive. Tried basing it and even just smoking it but it did not do much. Probably just as well I hear that shit is brutal addictive, like face-eating addictive

Last edited:

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Zach !!!!! I know.. I know.... Logistical issues ! But how do you keep from doing it man ???? HOW ?

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Zach !!!!! I know.. I know.... Logistical issues ! But how do you keep from doing it man ???? HOW ?
There's just no room at the Inn.

I've got the arrays and subs running off an Outlaw 7100, and the PL won't fit inn there with it.

Wife won't let me leave it on the floor (reasonable enough, I guess) and if I stick it in the system in there, how will I ever pull it out?

It's a bear trap waiting for me.

I do have a Behringer Ep2500 that would fit with the 700B, since it's shorter, but...blah, blah, blah, fan noise, blah, blah, blah. Then that's another damned project.

Excuses, excuses. I know.