Welcome Tapeheads!

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I was thinking of dumping it too but you need to take the good with the bad and so this new FB page is more good than bad right now. If you are only into amps like PL then you are in the right place but tape decks is another place.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I was thinking of dumping it too but you need to take the good with the bad and so this new FB page is more good than bad right now. If you are only into amps like PL then you are in the right place but tape decks is another place.
I hear you Sam, I am into many, many things but won't use FB for any info that I need. It is usually available elsewhere...

This guy could be here just as well as FB, many choices exist. We don't sell your information like FB does.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
While you are at it Perry, ask Siri " Hey Siri, what does a fart sound like?"

That is the favorite question the grandkids like to ask her. Funny answer.

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
I frequent TH, but I rarely post there. I am what is know as a "Flipper", a word that didn't even exist when I started on eBay. So I read many posts, and enjoy the content, but I don't tend to comment.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Good for you. I don't go there at all anymore as what is the point? Just stay where there is intelligent exchange and leave the boneheads at TH and AK. If you are looking for the wrong answer to a question these are places to start as well as You Tube. There is a better group forming on FB. https://www.facebook.com/groups/819609535336117/posts/819620412001696

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I joined the Reel To Reel Clinic FB group under my wife's FB account. I don't have my own account and probably won't have one, at all.

Nando.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I know there are people against FB and I am one of them. We have to deal with what evils and try to do good on their platform just the same. Yes these rich guys can fly out into space and for me they should just stay out there- don't come back. We created the FB page- one of my past Engineer clients did, and we wanted to have a place to get away from all the boneheads out there. TH and AK don't see me much anymore.

Tagline
Retired
TH's & this one are the only audio forums I belong too. I was a member on AK years ago, but was never active except for my first post. I tried to log in to AK about a year ago but apparently I was purged from the site. I didn't lose any sleep over it. I still visit both of these forums daily since I enjoy this hobby and I like to see what's new and how the techs deal with the much needed repairs.

However, I think that some people jumping into this hobby should do more research before taking the plunge. Th's has a great following but many of the new members over there might think that repairs and cost are easy and cheap. Add this to the poor advice that some members throw out to a person asking for help is ridiculous. Many of the techs on these sites don't have the time it would require to walk these people through the problems members experience. You can't blame them. I had a problem with a piece of gear about a year ago but I emailed a tech for some assistance since I knew that posting on the forum would solicit some unwanted cures. The problem wasn't solved so I'm still pondering if I want to pack up forty pounds of gear and ship it.

Now its time for some easy listening jazz.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
What was the problem? Some things are too complex to fix by E mail or phone. As with some things like on Reel to Reel Clinic, I have helped people repair their units as far away as Panama or one guy was in the Mal Dives. I had to ask him where is that? His unit was repaired when I left him.

Last edited:
Tagline
Retired
What was the problem? Some things are too complex to fix by E mail or phone. As with some things like on Reel to Reel Clinic, I have helped people repair their units as far away as Panama or one guy was in the Mal Dives. I had to ask him where is that? His unit was repaired when I left him.
Sam, I was writing about my SX1080. P.S. rebuilt this receiver in 2011. The problem is distortion in the right channel. I spoke with P.S. and he offered to repair the unit but couldn't really give me a clear problem. I changed my cables, reversed my speaker and several ideas but nothing solved the problem. Anyway, the unit will just stay on the shelf until I decide what to do. Thanks for your interest Sam.

Ron

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Ron,
I imagine you put a lot of money into the unit up at this point so why let a asset just sit? I would try and figure out where the problem is coming from but it most likely won't be outside of the unit but maybe a dirty switch. If it has all new parts as caps and drivers as PS is known to do what could go wrong with it other than a dirty switch? Maybe a little Deoxit would fix it?

Tagline
Retired
Hi Ron,
I imagine you put a lot of money into the unit up at this point so why let a asset just sit? I would try and figure out where the problem is coming from but it most likely won't be outside of the unit but maybe a dirty switch. If it has all new parts as caps and drivers as PS is known to do what could go wrong with it other than a dirty switch? Maybe a little Deoxit would fix it?
Sam, You are correct, it did cost a lot. Shipping was around $175, round trip but it was worth it. I've had the receiver for over 20 years and I only paid $35.00 & a 6 pk of Bud. It was a garage find and when I got it back from P.S. it looked like it just came out of the audio store. I don't know if you work on receivers but since we're only 130 miles a part I would consider sending it to you. Normally I'm in Chicago twice a year for a ballgame but the pandemic has derailed those plans the past two years. Maybe next year.

Ron

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I do have a receiver here now and then. I have no FM alignment capability but amps I may be able to fix but I have 184 tape decks here and so I am close right now to stop taking stuff in.