Vintage Phase Linear 400 Power Amplifier – Refurbished (On Ebay Now)

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Dear posters I have not been following this thread as I have been busy lately.
I have to take back my initial comments and I think many of you should as well. Steve has produced a very coherent machine of which I am just learning about. This form is a place for learning and experimenting and if you were to understand some of Steve’s design I think all would agree this ridiculous bangering is pointless.

Steve if you are still following you have my sincere apologies

G

mondialfan

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Dear posters I have not been following this thread as I have been busy lately.
I have to take back my initial comments and I think many of you should as well. Steve has produced a very coherent machine of which I am just learning about. This form is a place for learning and experimenting and if you were to understand some of Steve’s design I think all would agree this ridiculous bangering is pointless.

Steve if you are still following you have my sincere apologies

G
I agree that Steve could offer a lot of experience and learning to everyone on the board. However coming in with an opening post spraying venom everywhere doesn't help to pave the way for that. His opening statement said he's open to criticism and willing to learn, but with an attitude such as his that is very hard to believe. People are not willing to learn in the presence of a critical attitude, because every question about what you are doing turns into a slight against you. I understand that some things were said prior that may have put Steve off. However in the presence of a vacuum with the designer not present most of the time speculation will run wild. None of my prior posts were negative and only pointed out my doubts about the choice of output transistors as did some other folks on here. These were real concerns and didn't need to be addressed in the manner in which he chose to do so. Look at his response to my concerns "EVER HEARD OF GRADING?" thats not teaching someone, that's being a smart A$$ and attempting to belittle someone.

He could've easily opened a thread explaining his process for selection, i.e. grading, and then inviting questions. If doubts still existed and he felt the questions showed ignorance then he could tear into people. In my opinion this would've been a better option especially on a new forum that you just signed up for...

I still have great respect for Steve and his accomplishments and I hope he'll stick around but that doesn't mean he couldn't handle things better going forward.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well said bud, it also reflects our attitude here.
Being a parts changer and not a tech, and while learning , I rely on those with much better understanding and experience than I. I have shown that one does not need to understand electronic theory to assemble, test and use an ass kicking amp. And through the help of others, diagnose and fix problems in other equipment.
It's all good, and with some conversation and compassion we can all benefit.
However, telling a man that has spent a lifetime designing power supplies he doesnt understand them is a bit.much.
Joe ( Gepetto) is a very talented electrical engineer, as we all know, and what he has brought to us as an option to actually possess a killer, high wattage amp is done out of his love of audio and willingness to share what he knows. It takes time and energy to do what Joe does, and the extent of his patient and kind help is appreciated greatly.
My hope has always been that egos can be put aside and advice and collaboration could flourish here.....i still hold to that hope....

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Steve Mantz returned my phone call and sent me the following e-mail:

I made a spread sheet of the SOA for the PL400/700 for 2 devices

If you would like to post this on the Phoenix forum please feel free.

If anybody would like to ask me questions I will be happy to answer them.

If there is an interest in me designing a new drive board which would accommodate BOTH parallel and series connected output stage I shall do it if there are enough takers.

This would be my latest and best technology.

Regards

Steve

Anyone who is interested can contact Steve at smm@zedaudiocorp.com

My comments:
I attempted to load the Excel spreadsheet onto the Phoenix Audio Forum. However was unable to do so because of the file type.
So I copied the data and text in the spreadsheet into a Word document and then converted it into a pdf document .
(see attached document.)
Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes in transposing/copying the data and text....

Ed

Attachments