Variacs N Stuff

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Glen,

While researching my own Variac I remember seeing the original introduction of the 20 amp line to join the existing Variac family. The knob & face on your unit triggered this memory. As you can see your portable 'cased' model (W20M) is highlighted:

W20M - A New 20-Ampere Variac Autotransformer.jpg
(Refer to attached .pdf for the electrical specs / wt / prices of all W20 variations on p. 5)

3D

PS - When I recently found myself in the "analysis leads to paralysis" mode when it came to choosing some of the test gear for the lab, I realized that this is not the time to dither. To get this as right as possible as soon as possible, I've decided instead of trying to choose the exact correct 1 new item in a particular category, I'll buy the 2 best competing used items, use them both, decide which one is better for me, and then (assuming I bought it correctly in the 1st place) I'll sell the other one off for around the same price as I paid for it. Good news -- by adopting this mindset, the logjam is broken.

So yeah, no harm, no foul with purchasing > evaluating > selling that 30A Variac. Been there, doing that.

Cheers --

3D

Attachments

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
0915AFE1-8380-4DD7-8B67-0543D554CC1B.jpeg
Glen,

While researching my own Variac I remember seeing the original introduction of the 20 amp line to join the existing Variac family. The knob & face on your unit triggered this memory. As you can see your portable 'cased' model (W20M) is highlighted:

View attachment 63501
(Refer to attached .pdf for the electrical specs / wt / prices on all M20 variations on p. 5)

3D

PS - When I recently found myself in the "analysis leads to paralysis" mode when it came to choosing some of the test gear for the lab, I realized that this is not the time to dither. To get this as right as possible as soon as possible, I've decided instead of trying to choose the correct 1 new item in a particular category, I'll buy the 2 best competing used items, use them both, decided which one is better for me, and then (assuming I bought it correctly in the 1st place) I'll sell the other one off for around the same price as I paid for it. Good news -- by adopting this mindset, the logjam is broken.

So yeah, no harm, no foul with purchasing > evaluating > selling that 30A Variac. Been there, doing that.

Cheers --

3D
So I paid new price
Not a bad deal I’d say

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
View attachment 63528

So I paid new price
Not a bad deal I’d say
Glen,

I went to a inflation calculator on the interwebs, and queried what is the 1958 <-> 2022 conversion rate? Here is the response:

Value of 1958 US Dollars today - Inflation Calculator.jpg
A 2022 dollar is worth ~ 1/10 of the 1958 dollar.

So, if you take your purchase price of $60 x the inflation rate since '58 = $591.78.

Yeah, I'd say that you really got a deal scoring a 20 amp Variac using today's money to buy it in the neighborhood of the 1958 list price. :0)

Certainly changes the perspective on how an average inflation rate of just 3.64% can really compound over time. (Not to mention that the curve is ever steeper since '73...)

3D

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
$591 won't buy you a Superior Electric Powerstat. Sure you can get a chinese 20 amp unit for that with lots of change but to get American quality you will have to go a few hundred more for a stripped down unit. Digital voltage indication and extras run the price over 2 grand. And the Staco Variac is also in that high priced range.

I tripped over one of the bog standard Powerstats at a Men's used junk store. Got it for 20 bucks and it appears to be like new. I later picked up one of those chinese units and sold it off quickly. It did not have the smooth rotation of the adjustment knob the way the Superior Electric unit had. Much better unit in my opinion but for light duty the cheap ones might be just fine but with all the used US made ones out there finding a 10a unit for a c-note or so should be easy. That 20a unit will be more. Buying one for the original MSRP in the catalog is a deal today.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I got lucky and scored another W5MT3AW for a killer price. I should have never got rid of the last one. These are so rare that they almost NEVER pop up. It took me a couple years to find another one so this one will get resto'd and will stay with me. It's got the second generation meters on it but I have most of the old meters in my stash so I will use my old nos bakelite meters on the resto and order a dual scale Simpson watt meter face and that should complete the job. Now I have to find a powder coater around here. My old school test equipment collection is growing. No hurry with this rebuild, it will be in the same line with the Rek O Kut and and and and..........

Maybe I'll do some custom meters on this one..

W5MT3AW.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I got lucky and scored another W5MT3AW for a killer price. I should have never got rid of the last one. These are so rare that they almost NEVER pop up. It took me a couple years to find another one so this one will get resto'd and will stay with me. It's got the second generation meters on it but I have most of the old meters in my stash so I will use my old nos bakelite meters on the resto and order a dual scale Simpson watt meter face and that should complete the job. Now I have to find a powder coater around here. My old school test equipment collection is growing. No hurry with this rebuild, it will be in the same line with the Rek O Kut and and and and..........

Maybe I'll do some custom meters on this one..

View attachment 68215

Here is the before and after for this 5 Amp 3 meter Variac. All the meters were about shot so I put NOS Simpsons in. I had to get some new meter faces made since finding a NOS meter with dual scales is impossible. The new meter scales are $20 each and I ordered extra so if anybody is in need of a pair............

Variacs.jpg