Variacs N Stuff

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The baby brother 5 amp Variac is pretty much finished. I noticed the new Voltage Knob is bigger than the original so I will attempt to restore the original knob. That big one came with the new Transformer. The only other thing is I don't like the old worn out AC socket. It's seen better days so I'll find one and replace it. Anyway, it works great and even if it was broke dick, it looks cool sitting there doing nothing. Now who can I talk into calling this guy in California so I can get the correct amp meter?

View attachment 39278 View attachment 39279

So the triple metered unit has a amp meter which has only one scale on the face (0-5 amps) and it should be dual scale meter with 0-1 amp and 0-5 amps to match the Hi-Lo toggle switch. I found the place to order them so I'm having 2 made (I have another panel meter to do). Should take about a week and it was 20 buck for the pro's to do it since they do Simpson meters all the time. I'll post a pic when it comes in. NOW I DON"T NEED TO TALK TO THE CHUMP IN CALI for a whole meter. These screw right on to the Model 57 (0-5 amp) meter. COOL. I got a new AC socket so I'll wait and only take it apart once.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So the triple metered unit has a amp meter which has only one scale on the face (0-5 amps) and it should be dual scale meter with 0-1 amp and 0-5 amps to match the Hi-Lo toggle switch. I found the place to order them so I'm having 2 made (I have another panel meter to do). Should take about a week and it was 20 buck for the pro's to do it since they do Simpson meters all the time. I'll post a pic when it comes in. NOW I DON"T NEED TO TALK TO THE CHUMP IN CALI for a whole meter. These screw right on to the Model 57 (0-5 amp) meter. COOL. I got a new AC socket so I'll wait and only take it apart once.
WHY NOT PERRY?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

HUH?
Was it a long and tedious search?

Piece of cake Lee...... I put in for a quote, sent him a picture of what it is supposed to look like and it took 2-3 days, and then when he was done with the quote, I called and put in the order. It probably helped that I had a common meter. You can also send meters in to them and they will repair, rebuild whatever....... Here is the link..... It's amazing what you can find with the right questions..... Had I known this a while back, it could have saved me time and money. Just fill out the quote and the dude will respond sooner or later.

https://www.newark.com/custom-panel...nQiOiJFVTJpZG9PUkdvbjYxRVwvVmRNR203Zz09In0%3D

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Twice in the past I needed new meters and sourced both times through Newark. Each pair were off the shelf and came from Anders in the UK so not cheap but nearly drop in replacements. Enlarging the bezel opeing by a MM or so on one unit and chopping out a bit of room for the barrel in the other. Because in that case, new ones swung from the bottom, not the top. Old dial scales fit the new meters perfectly after swapping them over.

Newark is a good place to get meters. They had some custom options back then but probably more than that now. Looks like they have more suppliers on the roster.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Here is the quote I got. The new metered units get expensive quick. RESTORE AN OLD ONE!!!!!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Below is the quotation that you requested:

1 each 3PN1010B Variable Transformer, $528.00 each

120VAC Single Phase 50/60 Hz Input;

0-140VAC Output;

10 Amps Maximum;

Manually operated;

Includes case, cord, plug, receptacle, lighted switch and fuse.

Visit http://variac.com/staco_variable_transformer_1000_1200.htm for additional details

1 each 3PN1010B-DVM Variable Transformer, $1,064.00 each

0-140VAC Output;

10 Amps Maximum;

Manually operated;

Digital Voltmeter +/- 0.5%

Visit http://variac.com/staco_3PN10_20.htm for additional details

1 each 3PN1010B-DAM Variable Transformer, $1,094.00 each

0-140VAC Output;

10 Amps Maximum;

Manually operated;

Digital Ammeter +/- 1%; 0.01 Amp Resolution;

1 each 3PN1010B-DVAM Variable Transformer, $2,513.00 each

0-140VAC Output;

10 Amps Maximum;

Manually operated;

Digital Voltmeter +/- 0.5%

Digital Ammeter +/- 1%

Handling/ Documentation Charge $30.00 (if leaving the USA)

Chamber of commerce certificate of origin additional (if required).

FOB: Cleveland, OH USA

Terms: Credit card or Net 30 days on credit approval

Shipment: 3-4 Weeks (ship dates are estimates only)

Freight/Insurance: Additional

All prices are quoted in US dollars

Note: VARIAC® is the registered trademark of ISE, Inc. All models are quality USA produced units, as they have been for over 80 years.

Thank you for the opportunity to quote on your requirements. If I can be of further assistance please advise.

Regards,

Tom Sherman

tom@iseinc.com

ISE, Inc.
10100 Royalton Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44133, USA
(440) 237-3200 Fax: (440) 237 -1744

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just waiting to see if they accepted my offer for a W10MT3A (amp meter model) and a W10MT3W (Watt meter model). They are nice so I don't have to restore either one. They are the newer models with the square meters, and appear to be in really nice shape. I'll sell the Amp Meter Model. Couldn't find another 3 meter 5 amp unit... Should have kept the one I restored.

Here is a pic of the two I'm buying.

Compare these 2 to the crap on the bay with broken meters, bent cases etc etc.... for

3A.jpg 3W.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
OK, Mark just bought a new Variac so I'll have one available (with warranty). Let me know if yer on the hunt for a 10 amp unit. Shipping shouldn't be TOO bad.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Make an offer, maybe you'll get a better deal. You usually see the W10MT3A but these are W's (watt meter not amp meter). They still work the same.