Unfortunately It is Time To Report

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Yes, Don't expect E bay to protect you all the time- they are better than when a guy sold me 3 hard drives and never sent any. Well my .44 awaits meeting him one day and he will not like the profit he made then.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
If you can find out the seller's city and state. Tell them you know where they live and to save shipping, you will come to their house and pick up the package because you are going to be in town for a couple of days.
I have used this several times and it has always worked. One guy even upgraded the shipping to Next Day.

mlucitt

Skywave, can you help me with a customer that needs a Revox A77 "looked at". Not sure what's wrong, if anything. May be just a clean and inspect, he pays well...

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
It is best for those in that state to look for those who do work in their state or close by to them. Why ship a unit all the miles when you don't need to?
I recently got involved in a unit that came from the NW part of the states- it was suppose to be gone through. Well when I put MDS36 the tape it was suppose to be set up for at 0 Vu, I got a saw tooth wave out of it. The thing is some guys show you 2" 24 track decks they work on and if they did what they did to this deck they might as well leave the business. I corrected all the problems but it took 2 hours to do all the stuff he missed.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Fine it looks like like the knumbskulls on a certain TH forum they are trying to chase me away from here- don't worry my black list will expand.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Sam, just say "At least I am not as far behind as Nakdoc." The only way I'm going to get caught up is by retiring and closing the shop. I have a new "hobby" shop space in a friend's house and will be able to focus on cassettes only!

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I don't think anyone is more behind than me. This is why I have to take drastic action. I don't know what Nakdocs backlog is at as he has never told me but I keep on sending him clients from down there. I guess not until he gets established again. Hey we all have out problems, Dan called me with a Nakamichi 700 this morning and I don't really have any answers for him. I guess in some decks when the heads get worn they might not show it in frequency response but the noise level goes up.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
There is a now bonehead in the SC area. This deck a X1000RBL was messed up in ways even a regular amateur would not do. I found a lot of screws missing and then the way he apparently put in the speed and reel sized switch was so abusive that he bent the Power switch so it rubbed, Some of the screw heads are cammed out and then the timer switch and rob that goes to the knob were snapped off stems. under normal service there is no reason to touch these parts. I am in the process of repairing that part now. When I say avoid the local shops, you will save yourself money by doing so. Yes shipping can be expensive but then after a bonehead works on the deck what do you think it will cost to fix all his mess?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
There is a now bonehead in the SC area. This deck a X1000RBL was messed up in ways even a regular amateur would not do. I found a lot of screws missing and then the way he apparently put in the speed and reel sized switch was so abusive that he bent the Power switch so it rubbed, Some of the screw heads are cammed out and then the timer switch and rob that goes to the knob were snapped off stems. under normal service there is no reason to touch these parts. I am in the process of repairing that part now. When I say avoid the local shops, you will save yourself money by doing so. Yes shipping can be expensive but then after a bonehead works on the deck what do you think it will cost to fix all his mess?
Hi Sam
It is a shame when you observe something like that. There are some great techs and upgraders out there but they are probably not the guy down the block from you. You are correct on that point.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I try and take note as to who it was that worked on this stuff so I can warn people away but I am afraid it is hard to collect names and then some decks are going to be messed up anyway. Those are the ones they want me to fix not saying anything about the bonehead they had it to previously.
Some guy I have talked to say refuse to work on a deck if it has been butchered but then how are these to be fixed- I don't think parting out a deck is the answer.

mlucitt

Sometimes the boneheaded guy is the uncle, big brother, or dad of the person that owns the deck. They are trying to do the right thing but are not equipped for the work involved. It might be more of a case where the person is trading a piece of electronics for a relationship. They figure if they mess it up they can buy a new unit and their effort is rewarded by appreciation.
Then the deck trades hands and finally lands on the bench of someone who knows what the deck is and what they are capable of doing to it to bring it back. This person values the deck more than the people who were once entrusted with its care, and that is OK in the Phoenix world.