Unfortunately It is Time To Report

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Here we go. So for a while now I have heard and seen ads on E bay for a guy who replaces all the caps in a Pioneer deck for say $750- sounds good right? HA.
Well now I get calls from his customers to say that the decks do not work- at least three of them. Well as far as I am concerned that is his problem but wait. The unit he worked on shows up at my door for me to fix it. Ok just what I need another RT909 I think #13. Well now that I have this unit torn apart and am having to repair what this guy has done to it by the capacitor changing I am getting more aggravated now with at least the fifth foil pattern he has broken and then soldered in a new gold colored cap with the cap being not even in the circuit. If a guy changes caps that is fine but if he works like a bull in a china shop and breaks the foil patterns that connect to the caps and then does not even repair the damage he has done don't you think this is an issue? it is certainly proving to be an issue as I have to go in this machine and fix it. besides the large balls of dog hair in the unit and the many screws that are not in their right place not to mention the screws that are stripped. Is this what the $750 job gets you for all this money? I see incompetent work all the time and a solder joint here or there I can deal with but to break the circuit foils more than 5 of them well folks have to be warned against having that guy work on your deck. Just take it to a good shop and like I said to others if a guy has to advertise on E bay that is a sign right there that something is wrong.
I don't want to mention names but the guy works out of Schaumburg IL. Maybe he will move to continue on this ridiculous work. If I did stuff like this I would want to hide too. Why large balls of Dog hair? I know he did not charge for that.
Wonder why it takes long to get units out the door despite 12-14 hour days? Here is one example.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
So how much is that guy going to be into that RT-909 for when all is said and done?

If an item sold on e-bay can be disputed as not as described, cannot the same be cited for service work?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If nobody is giving him shitty reviews (Feedback), what can you do??? Are you getting paid to fix his fuck-up's? If yes...... Charge more than he does and you won't have to see them anymore. I see a LOT of abortions in this line of business but I'm getting paid to repair it so what ya gonna do

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Sam, without a name, it's just another bitchin post. The guy deservers to be named, if for nothing else, at least those that read can be aware...

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
OK, It is not hard to put together the Schaumburg location and The Guy who recaps Pioneer RT909 deck on E bay- not hard at all. It is my understanding from others that he may be off of there already as too many people complained but just in case he surfaces again.
Yes I am getting paid as this is not a warranty of his. the unit also needed new heads which I am putting in now. I can not give names as then this
may cause legal problem for this web site as I was told by Jeff over at TH's.
I don't see this as bitching but warning people away from hack cap changers. I always thought that $750 for the job was excessive anyway.

I don't know the money he has in the deck but a new set of heads and all the mechanical work might end up at over $800 from me. I think the heads
last I checked were $175 each. They could go up too.
I can give you the name privately but I won't post it out in the open. He does not seem to be there anymore.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
There are adages that have been around a long time but "A fool and his money are soon parted" is my favorite. The surge in popularity of older stereo equipment make a huge field of suckers just ripe for the picking. And internet anonymity makes exploitation easy and by the sounds if it, inconsequentially risky.

I confess to following the exploits of Noah Schumacher elewhere. Surprised he got nailed legally but I don't think actually caught. That story unfolded over years and I'm sure he was just the tip of the iceburg. Like your Schaumburg guy.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
OK, It is not hard to put together the Schaumburg location and The Guy who recaps Pioneer RT909 deck on E bay- not hard at all. It is my understanding from others that he may be off of there already as too many people complained but just in case he surfaces again.
Yes I am getting paid as this is not a warranty of his. the unit also needed new heads which I am putting in now. I can not give names as then this
may cause legal problem for this web site as I was told by Jeff over at TH's.
I don't see this as bitching but warning people away from hack cap changers. I always thought that $750 for the job was excessive anyway.

I don't know the money he has in the deck but a new set of heads and all the mechanical work might end up at over $800 from me. I think the heads
last I checked were $175 each. They could go up too.
I can give you the name privately but I won't post it out in the open. He does not seem to be there anymore.
Sam, I wasn't jumping your shit bud. PM the name if you wouldn't mind..

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Who was this Noah guy? I don't seem to remember him.
The other crook is that Joey Stumpf- he cleaned a face plate and some dirt off reel motors for $900 then the deck came to me to be fixed the right way and I charged like $241. It was a Teac A2300S.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Like an online review, any factual reporting of mediocre work can be posted online as a matter of opinion only. Post your review with a few photographs and let the pictures do the talking. Ebay has well established feedback mechanisms to keep the site clean and ethical, so it is absolutely fair to give feedback whether the subject item is an object or a service.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
You may call it an opinion but from one who has worked in Electronics for so long I can tell when a job it done with horrific methods and process.
This guy not only removed caps from the board but in a lot of cases the foil pattern to the leads as well. In the good cases where he did not remove the foil pattern he lifted it and or caused a crease in the patter indicating very abusive work to the board, I don't know if he is using a 500 watt gun or a American beauty iron but it certainly is not what a professional uses and so much damage of not just one or two parts of the board indicates this guy is more destructive than good and he charges you for it. I could take a lot of time to document pictures but being he is presently off E bay this warning is probably good enough.

E bay: If these guys are so concerned with doing the right thing and making for corrections, why is it then that the major majority of people selling decks as restored or whatever they like to call it are doing so much fraud? I think E bay being a large place to market junk is collecting a lot of fees for the listing or selling and they are just as complicit with the crooked sellers as they for a long time have allowed this to go on and it does so over and over again because I see it.
When they get two fraud cases that are proven that seller should be banned and further criminal action taken but I know that is not going to happen with all these cockeyed liberals in charge. Look what is happening at the peaceful protests- they are not peaceful at all and as soon as they cross the line to some peoples properties they will then learn what it is like to be in a true battle.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Who was this Noah guy? I don't seem to remember him.
The other crook is that Joey Stumpf- he cleaned a face plate and some dirt off reel motors for $900 then the deck came to me to be fixed the right way and I charged like $241. It was a Teac A2300S.
I thought his reputation night have been known among you repair guys. He was mentioned by his and his company's name numeous times. Mostly on AK.

This says he was arrested but I'm pretty sure I read he flew the coop once released. And the counts and dollars involved are apparently much higher than the "official" totals.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2019/08...udio-repairman-accused-of-scamming-customers/

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Well as I went to put new heads in I found a problem with reverse play and it looks like the damage he did to the foils is not the only thing he did
but now more work on that Preamp board which is so much fun to get out of the deck. I get the idea that if a guy like this works on it before I get it the labor should have 3 hours added to it. I already have way too much time into this that is all caused by the knumbskull who thinks he can change caps but does not even check the machine afterwards.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ebay has really watered down any negative info you can leave for someone in the last couple of years. Ebay favors buyers and not sellers which is the height of irony to me.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
They want you to keep buying.

One seller gets fed up and leaves; three new ones start selling...

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Yes, The auction site was a lot better when it was ON Sale which was what it was before E bay bought it. Greed always gets in the way.