Turntable Mats

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Anyone using a "special" mat that has brought about an improvement in the sound of their records?

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
No mat...acrylic platter w/weight. Seems to suck that record right to the platter. Pretty sure there an old thread here that had a lot of ideas.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
No but I have a plastic and cork lamination from the plant department at Home Depot that’s us supposed to sound good.

I haven’t got around to popping a hole in the center yet.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
If I’m not mistaken uses 9mm shell casing...perfect size. I just filed the edges sharp and used it like a punch. Make sure no primer cap!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Flame deburr the edges with the primer in.

edit: I think that might be too large. .380 inch- like a bit over 3/8 inch. Maybe a 5.56 / .223 shell?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Flame deburr the edges with the primer in.

edit: I think that might be too large. .380 inch- like a bit over 3/8 inch. Maybe a 5.56 / .223 shell?
RIAA srandard states .28”, or, a “K” size drill bit.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Use a .280 Rem or other 7mm cartridge.

One time I put a felt mat under the rubber Technics mat that is on my Rek O Kut. Bad! Very bad....no idler "slam" was too be had, very dull and off sounding.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Herbie's Way Excellent Mat sonically a whole lot better than a stock Thorens mat on a TD-160 Super

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Still using the card stock, cork dots these days? Serious static issues out here in SoCal so just wondering what possibilities there are to help fight that.
Naw...that was when I was running the Duals. Acrylic platter only now...nekked...on the Project. Still recommend the Thunderon Record Brush (Sleeve City) for static.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Anyone try playing a record on a glass platter with just a weight or clamp? I like my standard SOTA soft mat, understand, but glass does something interesting to the record.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Well, the Rega uses a (10mm I think) glass platter with a felt mat on top. I have not tried it “naked” but I have heard of others who have.

I never tried it because they indicated it got bright and harsh/sibilant running on the glass.

But I wanted to point out that changing mats often changes VTA, so be careful you are not hearing the VTA change and attributing it to the mat material change.

Some very popular materials over at Vinyl Engine are cork and leather.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
I don't hear "bright" when I listen to records on glass. It seems to increase dynamics (which I value highly) and I hate felt mats. try it an see what you think.
Too many people will put a felt mat on top of another mat lowering the VTA. I guess if no mat raises the VTA, the record could get a bit sibilant and sound bright.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Like I said I haven’t tried it. And I think all glass is not created equal. The Rega sits on three 1/4” or so round rubber dots, so I suspect the glass will ring if struck.

Other tables might have the glass fully supported by a rubber mat (speculation) but in that case, the glass wouldn’t ring.

But it is a vast subject and all I wanted to point out is the VTA change can make tonal changes that might be “blamed” on the mat material, and that may not be accurate.

I actually have the Michell VTA nut for my Rega but it requires enlarging the tonearm hole. I figured if I was doing that, I might as well make a new plinth. I did make up a blank of MDF and acrylic but I scrapped it when I moved back to CT from Long Island. I had a plan to illuminate the acrylic from behind so it glowed...