Thoughts on the PL Dual-500!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The Dual-500 is useful for taking paint off the wall, scaring small children and animals, creating tinnitus, and ensuring that you neighbors will have a hell of a big party when you decide to move. Oh, and in the winter time it can heat a small room.
It has nifty lights, too!

The Wizard

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Where did you find three of these rare birds for sale? They rarely are seen for sale. I have three of them. One of them was the only Dual 500 that Clair Audio had acquired for testing but decided not to replace the 700's that were already in use. I need to dust it off and sell it to someone that will appreciate it.

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
Where did you find three of these rare birds for sale? They rarely are seen for sale. I have three of them. One of them was the only Dual 500 that Clair Audio had acquired for testing but decided not to replace the 700's that were already in use. I need to dust it off and sell it to someone that will appreciate it.
Unfortunately, I made a mistake; I misread the ad (strangely worded), and it turned out to be only for one unit.

I'd love to have one, but can't justify spending so much.

Last edited:

George S.

The Dual 500 won't take the WOA backplane kit, so your stuck with the point to point back wall wiring. Perry stated a full WOPL PL700 is a better amp than the Dual 500. Based on his extensive experience I trust his judgement.
A very handsome and desirable amp none the less.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The Dual 500 won't take the WOA backplane kit, so your stuck with the point to point back wall wiring. Perry stated a full WOPL PL700 is a better amp than the Dual 500. Based on his extensive experience I trust his judgement.
Even with P2P wiring, couldn’t it be modified to full comp? Change out the capacitors, etc.? Backplanes more or less change P2P to a single solid unit on a board- it seems logical that this could be done. Of course I’m oversimplifying...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Bull shit