Thirty Six Thousand Dollar Speaker Cables?

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
That's what I mean by contention, a smiley at the end of that Laz may be a decent thing to do just so we don't think the last sentence wasn't in your face. Don't think I'm jumping your shit because I'm not. It's just that it can go from contructive discussion to garbage soooooooooooooo fast.
Done, well sort of, since I don't know how to post smileys at edit.

Garbage here? From us?? Don't think so... [insert 'nother smiley]

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Wasn't implying that Laz, just that it could!! I , of anyone have no business telling anyone how to act here, it's just on this topic I've seen it go bad wayyyyyyy fast. Thanks for understanding Laz...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Gibsonian needs to chime in here, he, along with the Larrt make compelling arguments for large cable... Where are ya Scott??
Well there in starts the law of diminishing returns. A larger cable makes me feel warm and fuzzy so of course the sound stage starts sounds better, but not $36,000 better.

Ultimately It is up to the individual to determine how much they want to spend on each component and how much they want to spend on IC's and Speaker wires. My thought is that if it was so important then the makers of audio gear would incorporate some of these ideas into their gear. Open up a high end piece of audio and see what type of conductors they use? :rabbit:

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Good Idea John. I'm gonna be around some hi end stuff at the end of the month, I'll take my screwdrivers and camera...

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
It's too bad there is so much contention around this issue as I think they're a lot of people on the fence about this. AB testing can weed out the majority of these claims BuT!!!, If and when you can measure soundstage It's all moot because that is ONE of the differences I hear with better cables and connections, and soundstage can be very subjective......

So, where do we go from here???
ok, but how much are you willing to pay for wire to achieve thoses differences in sound (in your example soundstage, but it could be any other aspect as well)? in addition to a solid connection, cable construction needs to be factored in as well. i think these two factors have much more to do with cable performance than anything else, and neither requires the cost of cable to be unreasonable.

wire affects the sound less than any other component in the chain, so its the last thing i worry about in my system.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Scott, very wise appraisal there Sir. Much food fir thought, but damn that makes sense....

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My umbilical cord was big and made me feel warm and fuzzy too but that was 47 years ago. Not that I even remember.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Well there in starts the law of diminishing returns. A larger cable makes me feel warm and fuzzy so of course the sound stage starts sounds better, but not $36,000 better.

Ultimately It is up to the individual to determine how much they want to spend on each component and how much they want to spend on IC's and Speaker wires. My though is that if it was so importatn them the makers of audio gear wouls incorporate some of these ideas into their gear. Open up a high end pice of audio and see what type of conductors they use? :rabbit:
Objectively no warm and fuzzy. I have bought 2 sets of ICs in 8 years. I'm not going to spend 36,000.00 on a pair of cables. When nothing in my system even comes close to that price. We can go with the objective of why do you need bigger when the wire inside isn't big. The internals are designed for one purpose. My speaker cables are designed for another. It is sort of like using cryo'd components. I have never heard the difference. Some may have. I'm not going to poo poo them. To each their own. I'm not much on cost as a factor it isn't my money they are spending. We can talk about even wood blocks to set the cables on.. If we go back to the good ole days when they didn't use RCA outputs the used screws to hook the speaker wire to the amp. My 1st elec. classes in the 70s taught me electrons flowed + to -. Then in my next classes I was taught - to +. They were a few years apart.

This is my final thoughts on this. Big power cords. I want the component to get the right amount of everything. If you component is designed for 120 +/-2 volts and you are dropping below that is it working at it's full potential? That is the only way I can see a power cord changing sound. I run power conditioners for the same reason. I like my locking ICs for one reason corrosion. If they are tight there is less chance of corrosion. When I built speakers. I tried many types of internal wiring from the binding posts. I went with Goertz 12 ga flat cables from the binding posts. Made a difference. I was getting good deals from Wireworld they were just starting. If everything is operating at an optimum then wouldn't the sound be optimum? That is how I look at it.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I agree with you Larrt. It is just that everyone has their own opinion on just how much is costs to get cables that do the job correctly. No different then buying wine, some people will be happy with an $8 bottle and some drink a $1000 bottle. If it matters to you then by all means go for the more expensive or better perceived cables.

The best my hearing can tell me is that a different cable may sound slightly different but not necessarily any better.

All I want in cables is solid construction, positive connections and durability.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
You know, over on cheese forums, there are endless debates on vintage government cheese versus modern deli cheese...it gets quite heated, especially on the fondue sub-forums.