Thinking about upgrading my CD player

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So I am better off getting a new DAC for my Pioneer DV-45A transport, instead of buying a new player.
Dollar for dollar?
My original thoughts on the subject are that the DAC is the way to go, since the transport does indeed only spin the disc and provide 1's and 0's.
Agree, the transport is the transport unless you want to read a format not supported by your current transport but it seems the DV-45 covers most of the waterfront. The improvements come in the speed and resolution of the DACs that will allow oversampling and interpolation to occur when it could not with older electronics.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Agree, the transport is the transport unless you want to read a format not supported by your current transport but it seems the DV-45 covers most of the waterfront. The improvements come in the speed and resolution of the DACs that will allow oversampling and interpolation to occur when it could not with older electronics.
IMO oversampling is overrated. You can also go with a anti-jitter/clock before the DAC. I tend to agree with Graham (Gamve) on this. I am no expert though. Just know the sound is improved.