Thinking about upgrading my CD player

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I'd appreciate some input on CD options.
Right now I've got an old Pioneer DV-45A DVR player, in fact I like it so well I bought 3 of 'em! Got one new and the other two on the cheap, used.
They're good sounding, reliable and I have never had a problem with them.
But the DACs in them are 15 year old design, and digital has made great strides in that time. I think that they would sound great with an outboard DAC, and the Pioneers have digital outputs, both Toslink and RCA.

So I think I'd like to buy a nice outboard DAC and continue to use the Pioneer transport...the question is which one to go for, considering a budget of $300-$500 or so?

Or does it make better sense to buy something like a used Oppo?

Whatcha think, guys?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Right now I've got an old Pioneer DV-45A DVR player, in fact I like it so well I bought 3 of 'em! Got one new and the other two on the cheap, used.
But the DACs in them are 15 year old design, and digital has made great strides in that time. I think that they would sound great with an outboard DAC, and the Pioneers have digital outputs, both Toslink and RCA.

So I think I'd like to buy a nice outboard DAC and continue to use the Pioneer transport...the question is which one to go for, considering a budget of $300-$500 or so?

Whatcha think, guys?
Buy a used Oppo 93 (which can hit the lower half of your budget window) or a new 103 which is $499 and call it good! :p

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'm still using Sony CDP-30 and 70 perodically, for crying out loud. 1986 was a nice enough vintage for me.

Dazen1

Stick with what you have and pick up an external DAC. There are so many to choose from at various price points.

Something like this should do the job.

The only downside with getting another player is the availability of replacement mechs. If that machine were to break down, you may struggle to find a new drive in the future.

Last edited:

Miracle Mile

I'm still using Sony CDP-30 and 70 perodically, for crying out loud. 1986 was a nice enough vintage for me.
Yup...

And I am still happy with this one:

You can ask member Glantior why, because he owns the same one.

Nick Danger

Stick with what you have and pick up an external DAC. There are so many to choose from at a various price points.

Something like this should do the job.

The only downside with getting another player is the availability of replacement mechs. If that machine were to break down, you may struggle to find a new drive in the future.
Agreed. Use your CD player as just a transport and get a nice DAC.

Nick Danger

Whatcha think, guys?
This is the one that I have my eye on:

http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

I figured I would hook my laptop up via USB and CD player with the digital optical to the DAC. This way, I will only use one input on my receiver and free another one up for say, an outboard phono stage:toothy10:.

Oppo are quite nice though.........

I think you are good either way that you go!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yup...

And I am still happy with this one:

You can ask member Glantior why, because he owns the same one.
It's the Pulse linear D/A converter...damned nice when they came out and I can find lesser models with it dirt cheap now and then that kick butt.

After that why bother? You aren't going to appreciate any difference in CD audio and I've found those particular DACs in $5 yard sale players.

CHEAP has it's merits. Had a Sherwood that sounded quite nice too, a bit older than the Sonys though. Something like CD...10000.

You have good players and the state of D/A conversion for CD audio did basically peak 15-20 years ago. DVD-A is still out there but nobody else seems to know what you are talking about if you mention it and while players are great, I know most of us here would rather CREATE mixes. Concentrate on improving your recordings and it will make a world of difference.

PS The days of the physical disc medium are not over but they are becoming more difficult to access daily and therefore your emphasis should focus on CREATION.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Dave: My daily driver is an antique in comparison - it's a Sony X7ESD from the late 80's. I believe it was only produced in 1988 and 1989. There are old units out there which are every bit as good as the current offerings. This Sony weighs as much as a vintage receiver at 35 pounds. It would have set you back more than $1900 USD back in 1988.

Not only is the CD transport silky smooth, look at the effort built into the chassis and components. This is mine pictured with the top cover off.

Nando.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Dave: My daily driver is an antique in comparison - it's a Sony X7ESD from the late 80's. I believe it was only produced in 1988 and 1989. There are old units out there which are every bit as good as the current offerings. This Sony weighs as much as a vintage receiver at 35 pounds. It would have set you back more than $1900 USD back in 1988.

Not only is the CD transport silky smooth, look at the effort built into the chassis and components. This is mine pictured with the top cover off.

Nando.
That's gorgeous, man!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Whatcha think, guys?
I have 2 Onix and an Oppo, Circa Blaze and Gepetto recomendation. The Onix are the CD-1 and CD-15. The 15 came out quite a bit later than the 1. I had removed the CD-15 from the rack after hearing the Oppo. The CD-1 pulled duty last night on the 400 test, and then put the Oppo back on it, then toook the Oppo back off and the CD-1 back on. The CD-1 sounds.......um.....smoother....Yep.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The one reference spinner that has eluded me all my life.

Show Off! :mad:

Nando.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Tony: I couldn't resist!

Larry isn't on, but I'm sure he has lots of experience with his Shanling. I was contemplating on buying this one at Innovative Audio a few years back.

Nando.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have 2 Onix and an Oppo, Circa Blaze and Gepetto recomendation. The Onix are the CD-1 and CD-15. The 15 came out quite a bit later than the 1. I had removed the CD-15 from the rack after hearing the Oppo. The CD-1 pulled duty last night on the 400 test, and then put the Oppo back on it, then toook the Oppo back off and the CD-1 back on. The CD-1 sounds.......um.....smoother....Yep.
More analog. The Oppo does not compare to the Onix. Great for DVDs though

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Tony: I couldn't resist!

Larry isn't on, but I'm sure he has lots of experience with his Shanling. I was contemplating on buying this one at Innovative Audio a few years back.

Nando.
A wicked player by itself. Use the remote for output. No preamp involved. The guys in Canada had a mod for it. I have hooked some pretty good DACS to it. They come out very quickly. I have never bypassed the tubes. I will never part with that CDP.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Larrt, just for the eye candy factor alone I wouldn't part with it!! That Shanling is a beaut..