Think I blew up my Series II Model 700.

Tagline
---
Cranked the music tonight, and my left speaker started smoking out of the rear port. Before I could get to the amp and turn the volume down, it was gone. Hooked up a different speaker, and the left channel of my PL now has only treble. No bass to speak of. What did I do, and how hard/expensive is it to fix?

Charles.

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
Cranked the music tonight, and my left speaker started smoking out of the rear port. Before I could get to the amp and turn the volume down, it was gone. Hooked up a different speaker, and the left channel of my PL now has only treble. No bass to speak of. What did I do, and how hard/expensive is it to fix?

Charles.
Oh shit!! I hope it's no big deal. I'm no tech

NavLinear

Charles.
Hey Charles,

Several failures could have caused this but most suspect would be a DC component on the output. I know you've asked before but is this something you would want to upgrade to eliminate problems like this?

If you have a meter you would want to start on measuring what the output is doing. Make sure you remove the speakers so you don't F another one up. If DC is present at anything above a very low level this could be the issue. Some photos and measurements would help get us pointed in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about your problem - we should be able to help you solve this.

Tagline
---

Charles.
Okay, I'm retarded. The speaker I hooked up? I forgot to plug the woofer back in after refoaming it. Amp appears to be fine.

Checked the DC offset, and I'm at .01 volts (10mv) on both channels.

Charles.

NavLinear

Okay, I'm retarded. The speaker I hooked up? I forgot to plug the woofer back in after refoaming it. Amp appears to be fine.

Checked the DC offset, and I'm at .01 volts (10mv) on both channels.

Charles.
Ok - so the left speaker you mentioned is damaged?

Tagline
---
No, didn't blow my amp, it didn't go into DC mode, I just over-drove the speaker. The speaker is junk, both 6.5" driver voice coils are melted.

I have been able to find zero information on modifications to the series II model 700, so there is no protection installed.

Charles.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No, didn't blow my amp, it didn't go into DC mode, I just over-drove the speaker. The speaker is junk, both 6.5" driver voice coils are melted.

I have been able to find zero information on modifications to the series II model 700, so there is no protection installed.

Charles.
Lee can change all that for you Charles :)

NavLinear

Charles.
Now I understand - a bit slow on the uptake. You're looking for a PL 700 Series II upgrade thread I'm guessing. I don't think one has been documented at this site but there are others that can confirm or deny this. I believe most of the topology is the same between series although the original 700 has a slightly different back wall configuration making the upgrade to the backplane boards a no go. If you read a 700B upgrade thread that should be very close to what a Series II will require without a light board though.

Lee has mentioned in previous conversations that he will be upgrading a Series II 700 and hopefully a 400 Series II. That will be a great help for those with those models. More light will be shed here so stick around.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Now I understand - a bit slow on the uptake. You're looking for a PL 700 Series II upgrade thread I'm guessing. I don't think one has been documented at this site but there are others that can confirm or deny this. I believe most of the topology is the same between series although the original 700 has a slightly different back wall configuration making the upgrade to the backplane boards a no go. If you read a 700B upgrade thread that should be very close to what a Series II will require without a light board though.

Lee has mentioned in previous conversations that he will be upgrading a Series II 700 and hopefully a 400 Series II. That will be a great help for those with those models. More light will be shed here so stick around.
The 700B and Series 2 are nearly identical where it counts (chassis and back wall) except for cosmetics and meters. Same is true of 8 fin PL400 Series 1 and Series 2.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It's a shame that is was only offered as an option. A couple bucks in parts and there would have never been the "flame linear" legacy
No I don't think so Ron. If the amps failed they would still have that legacy despite a DCP. The root cause problem was that they failed.

This amp did not fail here, it just zorched a speaker. In this case, the DCP should have done nothing and let that happen.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Charles.
Bump