The Smoked 400

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
For Joe: copper can be water jet cut and that is typically cheaper than laser.

We have a guy locally who is very inexpensive. I need to check with him on cutting carbon fiber woven sheet and ceramics, but I think he can.

You might want to check around- that may reduce the cost of copper; might also reduce the cost of the aluminum ones I presume you offer...

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
For Joe: copper can be water jet cut and that is typically cheaper than laser.

We have a guy locally who is very inexpensive. I need to check with him on cutting carbon fiber woven sheet and ceramics, but I think he can.

You might want to check around- that may reduce the cost of copper; might also reduce the cost of the aluminum ones I presume you offer...
I wonder what’s being laser cut? That’s typically charged by the inch. The outside dimensions could be sheared, holes drilled with a dedicated template then bent in a break...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I wonder what’s being laser cut? That’s typically charged by the inch. The outside dimensions could be sheared, holes drilled with a dedicated template then bent in a break...
Been there, done that, PITA. Also silver soldered a set together, also a PITA..

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The primary cost is in the material and finishing, not the processing methods. CNC or Laser are about the same cost, laser more convenient for short runs. The secondary machining is the same whether copper or aluminum.

The delta is all copper cost and finish cost.

Copper without black finish is a useless exercise, as emissivity is terrible, unless you blast fan driven airflow by them. That is where copper excels. Once you turn copper black, you lose the sexiness that you wish to display copper for.

Summary: If you want copper heatsinks to display the sexiness of the copper without forced air, your heatsink efficiency just got worse.