The Smoked 400

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Is it possible to clip just one speaker? One of the Penguins developed a distortion in the woofer. Visual inspection of the woof all looks good. I haven’t tried to troubleshoot yet...thought it was room vibration at first...ruled that out.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Is it possible to clip just one speaker? One of the Penguins developed a distortion in the woofer. Visual inspection of the woof all looks good. I haven’t tried to troubleshoot yet...thought it was room vibration at first...ruled that out.
Yep....

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I dont think the 700 would reach clipping point on those but they do have a lot of drivers in them.
Well I can tell you after 45 years the 901’s are still running. We have a series one run them and would take them outside and run them thill the amp over heated Did that for 16 or so years. Now they sit waiting to get hung from the ceiling in the shop and of coarse a 700 to drive them. The 901’s are so heavily boosted in the lower frequencies that it is easy to wind them up on a 700.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
After repairing the D board , things were not right. Had problems on the backplanes, namely 3 shorted 21195's and 1- 21196.....along with their associated emitter resistors. I have also changed out the D board for a G board. Powered up fine , offset.000 both channels, bias steady at 380 mv.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
If you want to do a larger run I'll finance it.
I have priced it prior and everyone backed away when price was given. Other than the copper appearance they won't gain any advantage over the aluminum black anodize. Unless they are black oxide finished, you will lose to the aluminum.

If you want them, I can have them run.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Fred, I figured I had 600.00 per set in em. Kinda pricey.

Amen Joe...
And you don't have the black oxide finish on them. For a run of 48, they were ~$115 each, copper/black oxide.

You cannot laser copper so they have to be punched which is a contributor to cost.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, what was the emissivity difference after anodizing copper?
Rough and tough, black anodize aluminum is 0.77-0.82 and black oxide copper is ~0.78. Different sources have slightly different measured results but these are the ranges.

For forced air situations, copper is superior due to higher conductivity than aluminum. The PL amp situation is typically radiating.