Test Equipment opinons

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
OK, I want to get a transistor tester and Cap tester..... I don't want no Chineez JUNK.... so a $16 tester is NOT an option. But, I also am on a retiree budget so cost IS a concern. I SEE SOME REAL SHIT OUT THERE, and was wondering what you guys are using. I don't want ones that are made out of a cigar box and some zip ties and a 9 volt battery so what do you guys recommend???
Perry,

I don't know what your budget is..... so here it goes anyway....

For cap testers, I like the old Sencore LC series. Price goes up as you add additional features like ESR and DA (Dielectric Absorp). Price is around $250-$350 for a LC53. With a LC76 you can also measure ESR (with Sencore's patented ESR circuit) . LC77, LC102 and LC103's are more expensive and also include DA. There is a former Sencore engineer who still services and calibrates them who is often selling Sencore parts on ebay.

For old transistor testers, I like old Heathkit IM-30's and IM-36's. If my memory serves me correct, you can also use an internal voltage source using (7) 1.5 volt batteries or hook up to an external collector voltage source up to 50V. Collector current up to 15A. A lot of other testers from that era don't have the capability for. These model of Heathkit's also have a finer resolution than other testers of that era. Price is around $80 on ebay.

I would like to know what others are using and price ranges as well.

Ed

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I'd like to match transistor so the parameters are close to each other when building "Stuff"....
I had a rather interesting discussion with John Curl when I visited him in Berekely, CA last month about gain/beta testing of transistors. I spent 4 or 5 hours at his place. Quite a fellow. We also discussed static versus dynamic testing, etc. Too much to try and remember. I owe him a return phone call. Does anyone have any questions they would like me to ask him?

Ed

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Perry,

For old transistor testers, I like old Heathkit IM-30's and IM-36's. You can also use an internal voltage source of 15V (using (10) 1.5 volt batteries) or hook up to an external voltage source up to 50V and 15A that a lot of other testers from that era don't have the capability for. These model of Heathkit's also have a finer resolution than other testers of that era. Price is around $80 on ebay.

I would like to know what others are using and price ranges as well.

Ed
I like old Heathkit IM-30's and IM-36's.

None of these are available in the US right now on the bay

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Heathkit IM-36 Manual

Perry,

I haven't been able to find an original manual on the internet for either the IM-30 or IM-36.

However a fellow has created an electronic version for the IM-36 in Word and converted it into a pdf:
http://tubularelectronics.com/Heath...Manuals_IM-IN/IM-36/Heath IM-36 Manual_v6.pdf

I still would like an original manual for my IM-36.

I also have a Heathkit IT-18 that I will probably sell in the future.
I sold my RCA WT-501 transistor tester on ebay a while ago.

Ed

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I found a few errors in my previous post and had to do a little updating below.
Hopefully I don't find too many more later. LOL

For old transistor testers, I like old Heathkit IM-30's and IM-36's. If my memory serves me correct, you can also use an internal voltage source (9) volts DC using (7) 1.5 volt "D" cell batteries or hook up to an external collector voltage source up to 50VDC or external leak voltage of 150VDC. Collector current up to 15A. A lot of other testers from that era don't have the same capabilities. These model of Heathkit's also have a finer resolution than other testers of that era. Price is around $80 on ebay.

Ed

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
This is what I just picked up.. You can test in AC and DC modes, new in the box....... It tests "Transistior" and since it was RCA and NIB, I have to trust it. Plus, the military used it also (they had NSN's and Calibration procedures).

Perry,

The item shown in the completed listings will not show me the original ad copy at the moment.
So I wasn't able to read any of the text and what documentation might have come with it.

I did locate a copy of the owner's manual.
https://bama.edebris.com/download/rca/wt524a/wt524a.pdf
It appears that the transistor tester may have be introduced sometime in 1973.

I am quite familiar with NSN's (National Stock Number's), CAGE codes and the Fed Log. I use to buy government surplus around the world before the days of ebay in the mid 1990's ruined everything for me.

I was also the GIDEP (Government Industry Data Exchange Program) focal for Boeing Metrology laboratories throughout the U.S.A. for 25 years and had access to all the Army (TB series), Navy (NAVAIR 17-20 SERIES), and Air Force T.O. (33K series) calibration procedures. However, since I retired, I no longer have access to these documents.

I look forward to the future and the results of your using the RCA WT-524A and its accessories.

Ed

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I like it because it uses AC. A lot of the units I was looking at used D-cells and had leaked over the years and were a mess.