Technics 1200?

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Why does this TT have such a following? I have had a few and sold them all. I wasn't impressed. I mean they didn't last 2 weeks and I sold them. I have had them with different carts and I just didn't like them.

Larry

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It isn't the audiophile qualities, it's the torque of the DD servo and it's recovery when backcued. This capability allows it to be used to 'scratch' and rapidly cue and mix between two of them. Also their stability in a disco situation..

You don't have to sound as good in a disco, just loud and fast.

There is some electronic delay wizardry involved in there somehow to make that sound, I am sure.

speakerman1

Tagline
OK I'm going here again. I just can't get my head around this. Why in the world would you pay 1000.00 for a DJ table. I just don't understand the concept. There are a lot of very nice tables out there for 1000.00.

Don't tell me there are a lot of upgrades. For 1000.00 I don't want to have to do a lot of upgrades. To me it goes to the old saying A Fool And His Money Is Soon Parted. Ok lets do a survey here. Who in this forum has a 1200? Would you pay 1000.00 for one. Just trying to figure this out in my mind. Man I don't know about this one. It has me shaking my head. May be I'm just dumb to the quality of this TT. I just don't and can't see it. Someone help me please explain this to me.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I've never seen or used a Technics 1200 one so I can't comment. If I was buying a TT I would by a nice used one. Most don't have many parts to go wrong and most people can replace the user serviceable parts. I would think one could find a very nice used TT for half or less of the going price for a new Technics. If I bought one I would certainly mount the cartridge with the bolts right side up instead of upside down. :cyclops:

orange

Tagline
speakerman1 said:
OK I'm going here again. I just can't get my head around this. Why in the world would you pay 1000.00 for a DJ table. I just don't understand the concept. There are a lot of very nice tables out there for 1000.00.

Don't tell me there are a lot of upgrades. For 1000.00 I don't want to have to do a lot of upgrades. To me it goes to the old saying A Fool And His Money Is Soon Parted. Ok lets do a survey here. Who in this forum has a 1200? Would you pay 1000.00 for one. Just trying to figure this out in my mind. Man I don't know about this one. It has me shaking my head. May be I'm just dumb to the quality of this TT. I just don't and can't see it. Someone help me please explain this to me.

Larry
A good Numark, Gemini or Stanton table will do fine for the task if you really want to DJ. For the price of one on Craigslist (usually less than eBay) you can almost build a working pair with a mixer and maybe snag a Pioneer CD turntable if you preder that instead (at least around here.

For $300 here recently you could have scored a 1200 with a case that the owner admitted came smelling like weed to him :alien:

speakerman1

Tagline
Web Police said:
I've never seen or used a Technics 1200 one so I can't comment. If I was buying a TT I would by a nice used one. Most don't have many parts to go wrong and most people can replace the user serviceable parts. I would think one could find a very nice used TT for half or less of the going price for a new Technics. If I bought one I would certainly mount the cartridge with the bolts right side up instead of upside down. :cyclops:

I was going to say something about the bolts; but I'm trying to be nice. I left it alone. Did you read my post? I offered to sell him a MH. For what he paid he could have gotten a very nice one. He just blew me off. Oh well.

I'm watching this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
Larry

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
speakerman1 said:

Larry
About 6 years ago I bought a SL 1210-MK5 from KAB. Like I've said before, I've long been a vinyl guy but always had cheap stereos. Hell, in the late 80's I was still using my parents old Magnavox console. One of the main reasons I went with the Technics was it was Direct Drive. Speed stability is very important to me. The thing is built like a tank too. Without the cartridge I paid $950. I opted for many of the upgrades KAB offered like an outboard power source and the tonearm fluid damper. I passed on the Cardas arm rewire (which in hindsight I kind of wonder if I should have went for that too). At the time a stock 1200 was going for around $350.

As far as the "it's a DJ table" argument goes....

The 1200 was originally desgned for the home audiophile market in the 70's. Later on they caught on with DJ's. They were introduced when vinyl was king, so companies could afford to spend big bucks on research and development and still make a profit. I've been happy with mine but to be fair I haven't heard the similar priced competition either. I did a lot of research before making my purchase. As far as the jump in price goes has anybody seen the crazy price on the new Denon dd turntable? $2500!!!! Yow! Makes the recently inflated prices on the Technics look like a bargain.

speakerman1

Tagline
Why do you like the DD? But see you had mods done to make it a nice table. There are some very nice tables out there with better specs for less money. If I wanted a new table since I'm a MH dealer I would buy one from them. I need to start learning more about TTs. Yes you should have done the Cardas. I'll post a list of what I'm watching in a bit.

Larry

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
I like DD because I wanted the speed to stay dead on accurate and not drag. Yes, I did upgrade but at the time I was able to pay for my tt w/upgrades for what a stock one goes for now. I think I would think twice about paying that much for a stock one. Also at the time the Denon dd tt was going for around $800 stock. Way more pricey than the Technics was.

As far as the Cardas goes, Kevin at KAB said he felt that the outboard power supply and the tonearm fluid damper would be more beneficial than the Cardas (if I couldn't afford all 3 upgrades). So on his recommendation I went with the other 2 upgrades instead.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I was being nice too as I didn't mention the bolts being upside down. If I was to purchase another TT I'd go for a DD one also. I like the stability and reliability of never changing a belt, similar to a DD cassette deck. I'd probably buy and older used Japanese Dd TT for a few hundred or so on ebay.

Attachments

speakerman1

Tagline
every once in awhile I get in the mood to upgrade my TT. I just never pull the trigger. I like the look of some of the Denons. Now Graham has some nice TTs.

Larry

orange

Tagline
clhboa said:
I like DD because I wanted the speed to stay dead on accurate and not drag. Yes, I did upgrade but at the time I was able to pay for my tt w/upgrades for what a stock one goes for now. I think I would think twice about paying that much for a stock one. Also at the time the Denon dd tt was going for around $800 stock. Way more pricey than the Technics was.

As far as the Cardas goes, Kevin at KAB said he felt that the outboard power supply and the tonearm fluid damper would be more beneficial than the Cardas (if I couldn't afford all 3 upgrades). So on his recommendation I went with the other 2 upgrades instead.
I've never really had a Panasonic built DD table that was +/- 1% of 'stable', always high or low a smidge. I have a Sony PS-T25 with loose arm, no rest and ugly as hell that IS rock solid stable but I can't use it yet.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hello Fellows,
I last saw a 1200 (mkIII) when I build a radio station at the end of 2006. These tables with the right cartridge do a wonderful job and will last a long time not two weeks. I have seen the basic 1200 go for many years without any service in radio stations that had good equipment and you did not have to put a penny on the cartridge shell to make it work like the older ones. I have a cheaper DD Sony table right now but if someone was giving away a 1200, I would have no problem taking one in. I think the last one was about $600 form BGS if I remember the comment correctly. BGS for those not in Broadcast is Broadcasters General Store in Ocala FL. These have been and continue to be very nice people to buy from and deal with.

speakerman1

Tagline
Well I pulled the trigger with 5 hours to go on the Sota. I'm just waiting to see. I put my highest bid in. I will not go crazy. I contacted Sota. They said at the price it is a good buy. Now to go one step at a time IF I win.

Larry

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
speakerman1 said:
I'm watching a Sota Jewel at the moment. Who makes your power supply? Are you using a phono amp?

Larry
My power supply says KAB on it. Where they get them I don't know. I just use the phono inputs on my Denon receiver.

speakerman1

Tagline
Sota has one for 295.00. I will see if an external is the way to go. What is a good MM cart. Is Goldring any good? The reason I'm going after this one I won't have to buy an arm. I would go with a MC ; but that means a new phono amp.

This is going to be a slow process. I can get some nice exotic wood for the table. I wan't this to be my last TT.

Larry

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
My son has been using his Technics 1200`s for years with no issues whatsoever. He grabbed a pair from his friend for $300 each, while throwing a Shure M44-H cartridge onto both of them. With my son DJing for over a decade, he has had hands-on time with many turntables at home, as well as at events. The1200`s get the job done. The Vestax PDX turntables are the direct competition, although the Technics have a better feel. If these direct drive turntables were inferior they would not have made production past the 70`s. These are still the industry standard on the DJ scene although the scene is now changed over to the digital side of the tracks which takes away from the actual art. The 1200`s work exceptionally great if paired up with the right cartridge.

Nando & Matt.