Teac X-10R checkout

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I was handed this tape deck to give a value for sale. Opinions, anyone? Personally, I wouldn’t go much higher than $400.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
You're a little low, Mark. Solds on ebay are running $575 - $700, oarts decks $450 and up. BIN is anywhere from $700 - $1200. I'd guess an ebay auction house would list at $600 or $650.

MarkWComer

Tagline
You're a little low, Mark. Solds on ebay are running $575 - $700, oarts decks $450 and up. BIN is anywhere from $700 - $1200. I'd guess an ebay auction house would list at $600 or $650.
It’s better than a parts unit, a belt would get it running. The heads, though- are they past the point of getting them lapped? I hate messing with tape decks- buying an alignment/calibration tape is out of the picture for a one- time repair job.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
The heads don't look too bad, Mark. They need to be cleaned to be sure but it looks like the guides are the bigger issue. Put a belt on it for the fellow, clean it up and see if he can get $500- $600 for it. If it's in working condition with a new belt and a cleaning, then it should fetch that. Just tell him to be honest - someone may want it for a project, though I'm not sure why. There are much stouter and desirable decks from Teac and Tascam out there - some not too far from that price point. Daily driver 2300s, 3300s, 6300s, etc. can still be found between $600 - $800.

I just think between what you and I saw, unless he wants to sell it as is, parts only, he's leaving a little bit of money on the table at $400.

MarkWComer

Tagline
The heads don't look too bad, Mark. They need to be cleaned to be sure but it looks like the guides are the bigger issue. Put a belt on it for the fellow, clean it up and see if he can get $500- $600 for it. If it's in working condition with a new belt and a cleaning, then it should fetch that. Just tell him to be honest - someone may want it for a project, though I'm not sure why. There are much stouter and desirable decks from Teac and Tascam out there - some not too far from that price point. Daily driver 2300s, 3300s, 6300s, etc. can still be found between $600 - $800.

I just think between what you and I saw, unless he wants to sell it as is, parts only, he's leaving a little bit of money on the table at $400.
I haven't seen enough tape decks to make a precise evaluation- and I told my nephew this at the beginning. Tape decks are far too fiddly for me to screw around with, and this is why I hesitate to work on them. The heads looked bad to me and I said so, so I thank you for giving me a more experienced opinion. I'll ask if he wants the belt replaced.