TEAC Monster.....

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Miles: I don't think that will be one you might chance upon in a thrift store.......

Nando.
Perhaps not a Sansui receiver Nando, but I found this heavy monster last wednesday:

It is in pristine condition, it only needs a new capstan belt which I ordered today.
This deck is nicely built, and it's a piece of cake to disassemble it.

Didn't had the time to take some decent pictures of it, but that will follow.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
If it hasnt been done already Miles you may wanna replace the motor.

Nice deck btw, my brother has a 2020.

Miracle Mile

If it hasnt been done already Miles you may wanna replace the motor.
All the motors (count em: 4) are working properly, it's only the capstan belt that doesn't look good. (after standing still for a longer period I guess)

Thanks for the advice anyway! :thumbup:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Well the capstan motor will fail if it hasnt already. They are about 8 dollars. Much like my brothers 2020 and my Yamaha, it just happens out of nowhere with no signs of it coming. Both of the decks mentioned have new motors. I can dig up the info for you on the motor for that deck. I have an extra one here, and Im pretty sure Sam would have some if the site is no longer in stock. Only suggesting it to save you possibly having to go back into the deck at a later date.

This little fella,

Last edited:

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Hmm, i see no Mabuchi motor inside and those Matsushita's were quite good, maybe a bad batch or something, Miles might be more lucky maybe not having those issues.. Great looking deck BTW! :thumbup:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
While it was a different motor that was in my Yamaha, the replacement is the same as those for Teac.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Well, for reference here if you need it Miles,

Here is a pic of the Sankyo motor that came out of my Yamaha on the left, and the Mabuchi EG-530AD-2B 12v 2400 RPM CCW motor that used as replacement in both KX800 and V2020.

Miracle Mile

We will see, but first I will replace the belt and let it run for a while.

Edit: I've checked the numbers but the motor is different than the one you've replaced.
The typenumber starts with "SHL"....

Last edited:

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Well, for reference here if you need it Miles,

Here is a pic of the Sankyo motor that came out of my Yamaha on the left, and the Mabuchi EG-530AD-2B 12v 2400 RPM CCW motor that used as replacement in both KX800 and V2020.

Oh, i know those Sankyo's, just restored one in my Onkyo TA-600 deck so i need to open the bottom lid to find a smaller motor inside, after cleaning the collector and brushes and relubing everything it works surprisingly well again... But good to know that Mabuchi model is the proper replacement as i can find them in the nearby for just 4 bucks here.. :happy7: Thanks for sharing this infos and pics :thumbup:

Miracle Mile

A view inside:

It doesn't look "low end" to me and it has something in common with the TEAC / Esoteric V9000:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Another stunning find, Miles. I hope you can get it working up to snuff once the mechanical aspect is looked after. Isn't it a nice deck to work on? I have inside shots of my own Esoteric V-9000 taken some time ago. They aren't the best of pictures, but they will give you any idea of any apparent differences between our cassette decks.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Being black, the Teac will look fine amongst your Sonys. I know how well your Sony cassette decks record - I hope the Teac V-5000 can do as well.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

I've just replaced the belt of it and guess what:

It runs flawless!!!

Didn't clean or demagnetize anything yet, but it sounds great so far!

Miracle Mile

How many cassette decks do you have now Miles?
Just three (including this one) Daren. As you know I've sold the 835s and the 510....
I don't want to pile up the decks, but for it's cost price I couldn't resist this extremely heavy TEAC.

Some snapshots of the testing after cleaning and demagnetizing:

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's very good news, Miles. You are like a magnet when it comes to attracting homeless cassette decks needing a new father. I like the shots. I always had a hankering for a centre well deck.

Nando.