TEAC A3340S

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Don't follow this advise ANYBODY..... I just spent $75 on 2500 feet of SM911.... If your tape is in that bad of shape, shit can it.... It will dirty up your machine so bad you'll have to tear it apart to get it all out....

TigerTEAC

New Around These Parts
Don't follow this advise ANYBODY..... I just spent $75 on 2500 feet of SM911.... If your tape is in that bad of shape, shit can it.... It will dirty up your machine so bad you'll have to tear it apart to get it all out....
No... Stop. Read on the inside of a Scotch tape. SILICONE LUBE IS IN THE TAPE.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That's not what I meant. Some type of "silicone lubricant" some guys suggested on tapeheads
That was for STICKY SHED SYNDROME? and when your tape starts shredding a lot it's best to try and 'bake' it and recover the program on another media. Some tapes had a backcoating that was problematic and SSS was the result. The substance suggested to spray on the tape for a temporary remedy is called 'Nu Finish' but it's generally agreed that it is not a permanent solution (not to ME at least) and archiving the recording is absolutely necessary.

Sony PR was often identified as an SSS candidate of some magnitude and SSS will make a big mess that you will want to swear at...not fun!